Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Live Mail without hotmail

Windows Live Mail without hotmail

NormanM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:05:38 GMT, Jim S wrote:

> NormanM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:h7f634kkgmt2
> $(E-Mail Removed):

>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:18:25 GMT, Jim S wrote:

>>> NormanM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:v6567wtkkud3$(E-Mail Removed):

>> <snip>

>>> Excellent.
>>> Zackly what I needed thanks

>> You're welcome.

> Except it seems useless if you don't sign in ;o?

No different than Mozilla Thunderbird, or my favorite, Pegasus Mail. The
Windows Live Mail "sign in" only signs you in to the online "Windows Live
Services". Your Windows Live ID gives you access to your Windows Live
Contacts (stored online) and your Windows Live Calendar. If you don't need
any of those services, you don't need to "sign in".

Windows Live Mail will connect with your ISP email servers, or Gmail email
servers, or any other (than Hotmail) email servers without "signing in".

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

NormanM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:16:11 GMT, Jim S wrote:

> "Peter Foldes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:hvrtkr$hbd$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Jim

>> Yes you can use WLM without Hotmail. Ignore all these ignoramus
>> posters that cannot answer you straight

> Have you tried?
> I only tried it out of interest "because it is there" and I find
> Outlook 2007 poor in the way it treats attachments. Thunderbird is my
> current client of choice.
> Anyhoo on Windows 7 Windows Live Mail is the only option on offer and
> on advice from this group I set it so I am not signed in. At that point
> it became difficult (impossible for me) to import all my stuff (mail,
> contacts or calendar(s)) from either Tbird or O2007 without signing in
> first.

I preferred email client, in Windows 7, is Pegasus Mail. It has a steep
learning curve, but is a very handy client when you learn it.

I have test Mozilla Thunderbird (3.x) in Windows 7, and it works well
enough, though I haven't explored all of its quirks, or the bells and
whistles.

I only use Windows Live Mail at all because I have some Hotmail accounts.
For which the Windows Live ID "sign in" feature is handy. However, if you
don't want any Hotmail accounts, or any other of the Windows Live services,
you don't need Windows Live Mail. Mozilla Thunderbird, if you are that
familiar with it, should serve you well under Windows 7.

Windows 7 ships (from Microsft, retail box) without an email client. You can
bring your own, which ever is your favorite.