Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is that Convertible behind the truck

What is that Convertible behind the truck

Jordon

Aardvark wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:57:47 -0700, Jordon wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> I spent the day today at the MG Car Club of Central New York
>>> http://www.mgcarclub.com/cny/
>>> at their annual Euro Car and Bike show in Cazenovia, NY.
>>>
>>> There were plenty of MGs and all the rest there (226 cars registered)
>>> but only a few had For Sale signs on 'em.>g>
>>>
>>> Most unusual car, I thought, was the 1957 Heinkel. Looks like this:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/3233885755/

>> Messerschmitt Kabinenroller
>>
>> http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/frankfu...erschmitt.html

> Didn't they make those from left over parts from aircraft manufacture?

Probably. After the war we wouldn't let them make airplanes
any more, so they used the same manufacturing plants to make
automobiles.

Whiskers

On 2010-06-22, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:
> Aardvark wrote:

[...]

>>> Messerschmitt Kabinenroller
>>>
>>> http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/frankfu...erschmitt.html

>> Didn't they make those from left over parts from aircraft manufacture?

> Probably. After the war we wouldn't let them make airplanes
> any more, so they used the same manufacturing plants to make
> automobiles.

There was also, all over Europe, a severe shortage of raw materials and
fuel at the same time as a pressing need for cheap economical motorised
transport. The original Fiat 500, Vespa scooter, VeloSolex, and 2CV,
catered for similar requirements as the 'bubble-cars'.

There were some very striking little vehicles built in the second half of
the last century. <http://www.rumcars.org/index.html>
<http://www.microcar.org/ourcars.html> <http://www.microcarmuseum.com/>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Clot

Whiskers wrote:
> On 2010-06-22, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:
>> Aardvark wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Didn't they make those from left over parts from aircraft
>>> manufacture?

>> Probably. After the war we wouldn't let them make airplanes
>> any more, so they used the same manufacturing plants to make
>> automobiles.

> There was also, all over Europe, a severe shortage of raw materials
> and fuel at the same time as a pressing need for cheap economical
> motorised transport. The original Fiat 500, Vespa scooter,
> VeloSolex, and 2CV, catered for similar requirements as the
> 'bubble-cars'.
>
> There were some very striking little vehicles built in the second
> half of the last century. <http://www.rumcars.org/index.html>
> <http://www.microcar.org/ourcars.html>
> http://www.microcarmuseum.com/

Thasnks for that. An enjoyable stroll through the history of post WWII micro
cars. Worries me, I remember so many. I must be getting old!

Aardvark

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:13:10 +0100, Clot wrote:

> Whiskers wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Probably. After the war we wouldn't let them make airplanes any more,
>>> so they used the same manufacturing plants to make automobiles.

>> There was also, all over Europe, a severe shortage of raw materials and
>> fuel at the same time as a pressing need for cheap economical motorised
>> transport. The original Fiat 500, Vespa scooter, VeloSolex, and 2CV,
>> catered for similar requirements as the 'bubble-cars'.
>>
>> There were some very striking little vehicles built in the second half
>> of the last century. <http://www.rumcars.org/index.html>
>> <http://www.microcar.org/ourcars.html> http://www.microcarmuseum.com/

> Thasnks for that. An enjoyable stroll through the history of post WWII
> micro cars. Worries me, I remember so many. I must be getting old!

Join the auld farts' club, mate.

Clot

Aardvark wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:13:10 +0100, Clot wrote:
>
>> Whiskers wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> There was also, all over Europe, a severe shortage of raw materials
>>> and fuel at the same time as a pressing need for cheap economical
>>> motorised transport. The original Fiat 500, Vespa scooter,
>>> VeloSolex, and 2CV, catered for similar requirements as the
>>> 'bubble-cars'.
>>>
>>> There were some very striking little vehicles built in the second
>>> half of the last century. <http://www.rumcars.org/index.html>
>>> <http://www.microcar.org/ourcars.html>
>>> http://www.microcarmuseum.com/

>> Thasnks for that. An enjoyable stroll through the history of post
>> WWII micro cars. Worries me, I remember so many. I must be getting
>> old!

> Join the auld farts' club, mate.

'fraid so!

Whiskers

On 2010-06-22, Clot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aardvark wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:13:10 +0100, Clot wrote:
>>> Whiskers wrote:

[...]

>>> Thasnks for that. An enjoyable stroll through the history of post
>>> WWII micro cars. Worries me, I remember so many. I must be getting
>>> old!

>> Join the auld farts' club, mate.

> 'fraid so!

I'm old enough to have driven some of them when they weren't so old or
unusual. I owned two Reliant Regal saloons in succession, and wanted a
Bond Bug, but got a brand new 2CV instead (more seats!). There's a lot to
be said for simple light-weight cars that can be serviced or repaired by
any reasonably handy mechanic with basic hand tools. But I'd draw the
line at bicycle pedals or no floor - might as well have a 2-wheeler.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2010-06-23, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> 'fraid so!

>> I'm old enough to have driven some of them when they weren't so old or
>> unusual. I owned two Reliant Regal saloons in succession, and wanted
>> Bond Bug, but got a brand new 2CV instead (more seats!). There's a
>> lot to
>> be said for simple light-weight cars that can be serviced or repaired
>> by
>> any reasonably handy mechanic with basic hand tools. But I'd draw the
>> line at bicycle pedals or no floor - might as well have a 2-wheeler.
>>

> Ive had an unrequited love for FIATs since a school chum had one...
> http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/fiat126.html
>
> He had a 128..
> ^_^

On this side of the pond, such cars are considered to be 'small' but not
'micro'. They're popular and unremarkable, and very useful in our narrow
streets and country lanes. The smallest current model is the 2-seater
'Smart'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Aardvark

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:43:15 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> Whiskers wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> 'fraid so!

>> I'm old enough to have driven some of them when they weren't so old or
>> unusual. I owned two Reliant Regal saloons in succession, and wanted a
>> Bond Bug, but got a brand new 2CV instead (more seats!). There's a lot
>> be said for simple light-weight cars that can be serviced or repaired
>> by
>> any reasonably handy mechanic with basic hand tools. But I'd draw the
>> line at bicycle pedals or no floor - might as well have a 2-wheeler.
>>

> Ive had an unrequited love for FIATs since a school chum had one...
> http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/fiat126.html
>
> He had a 128..
> ^_^

You'd just love the new model FIAT Cinquecento, mate. There are lots of
them on the roads here, and carry with them quite a bit of street cred.
My sixteen-year-old lad wants one as his first car after he passes his
driving test (he won't be old enough to apply for a licence until his
seventeenth birthday). If he thinks something's cool, you can bet your
bottom dollar that it is:

<http://www.cubiccapacity.com/wp-cont.../2008/02/fiat-
cinquecento-500.jpg>

Whiskers

On 2010-06-23, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2010-06-23, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

>>> Ive had an unrequited love for FIATs since a school chum had one...
>>> http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/fiat126.html
>>>
>>> He had a 128..
>>> ^_^

>> On this side of the pond, such cars are considered to be 'small' but
>> not 'micro'. They're popular and unremarkable, and very useful in our
>> narrow streets and country lanes. The smallest current model is the
>> 2-seater 'Smart'.
>>

> The truck is almost as popular up here. I prefer small cars but when you
> see Hummers being driven around its sort of a discouragement from
> driving a sensible "small" car.

If everyone thought like that, we'd all be driving tanks.

> However, theres a few Smart cars here!

Sensible people are everywhere, if you look closely enough )

--
-- Whiskers