Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poles in a Sea of R-G-B

Poles in a Sea of R-G-B

Robert Spanjaard

Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Mark L

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in front
of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.) All
three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this way.
Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual color
exposures.

Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB layers
then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced moments
apart.

sobriquet

On 20 jun, 19:01, Robert Spanjaard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>
> --
> Regards, Robert * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.arumes.com

What's the point? If you enjoy gaudy colors, such effects are much
easier to accomplish in photoshop with some simple manipulations that
would allow more control over the variations in color.

Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:03:28 -0500, Mark L wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>>
>>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

> This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
> rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in
> front of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
> water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.)
> All three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this
> way. Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual
> color exposures.
>
> Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
> might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB
> layers then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced
> moments apart.

In fact, long before turning into a gimmick, it was one of the first
techniques used for full color photography.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Mark L

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:14:34 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:03:28 -0500, Mark L wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>>>
>>>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

>> This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
>> rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in
>> front of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
>> water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.)
>> All three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this
>> way. Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual
>> color exposures.
>>
>> Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
>> might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB
>> layers then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced
>> moments apart.

>In fact, long before turning into a gimmick, it was one of the first
>techniques used for full color photography.

Yes, but done on 3 separate B&W frames.

Here's a fun freeware tool to make the above-mentioned process a little
easier.

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/rgblights.htm

I couldn't find any of their old freebies on MediaChance's new website, but
luckily this old link from my bookmarks still worked. See this page for
more of their handy free tools before it disappears.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html

I highly recommend the free Blackframe and FilterSIM tools. Their free
FilterSim tool once recovered an old and badly color-shifted image someone
wanted me to restore for them, that no amount of color-balancing in other
editors could accomplish. Their other freebies also have their occasional
uses.

Their PhotoBrush, DCE AutoEnhance, and Dynamic Photo HDR programs shouldn't
be discounted either. Their Dynamic Photo HDR is far better than the
usually recommend Photomatix.

Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:09:00 -0500, Mark L wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:14:34 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:03:28 -0500, Mark L wrote:

>>> This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
>>> rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in
>>> front of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night
>>> and water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this
>>> technique.) All three colors of course being recorded on one frame
>>> when done this way. Anything moving in the scene would get their share
>>> of individual color exposures.
>>>
>>> Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying
>>> around might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its
>>> RGB layers then recombine one of each from individual shots that are
>>> spaced moments apart.

>>In fact, long before turning into a gimmick, it was one of the first
>>techniques used for full color photography.

> Yes, but done on 3 separate B&W frames.
>
> Here's a fun freeware tool to make the above-mentioned process a little
> easier.
>
> http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/rgblights.htm
>
> I couldn't find any of their old freebies on MediaChance's new website,
> but luckily this old link from my bookmarks still worked. See this page
> for more of their handy free tools before it disappears.
> http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html

Doing this in GIMP is already easy enough, using the Channel Mixer and
three layers set to Addition.

> Their PhotoBrush, DCE AutoEnhance, and Dynamic Photo HDR programs
> shouldn't be discounted either. Their Dynamic Photo HDR is far better
> than the usually recommend Photomatix.

I don't do a lot of HDR, but until now qtpfsgui (called Luminance
nowadays) does the job quite well too.
http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/
http://www.arumes.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=18
http://www.arumes.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=91

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

DanP

On Jun 20, 6:01*pm, Robert Spanjaard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>
> --
> Regards, Robert * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.arumes.com

I that the oil spill?

DanP

Rich

On Jun 20, 1:01*pm, Robert Spanjaard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>
> --
> Regards, Robert * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.arumes.com

I don't hate it as much as most current HDR stuff.

Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

Because of the huge amount of positive response, I decided to put two more
shots on display. But without the RGB-filter effect this time.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/palen

--

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:27:55 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

> "Robert Spanjaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d80b9$4c1e4984$546ac3cf$(E-Mail Removed) l.net...
>> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>>
>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

> Very interesting. Reminds me that I've been meaning to play with just
> that sort of thing for a long time but never got around to doing it.
> Moving clouds I think are the most common subject for that; your photo
> is the first time I've seen it applied to the sea.

It's the second time I applied it to the sea. But the first attempt (with
long exposures and B/W images) worked a lot better. I posted this image
about four monts ago:

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_4874-76.jpg

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com