Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > conventional core of C

conventional core of C

Bill Cunningham

Why after chaper one of kandr2 does it say that the "...conventional
core of C" has been covered? You have the rest of the book and functions to
learn.

Bill

Malcolm McLean

On Jun 20, 7:13*pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * Why after chaper one of kandr2 does it say that the "...conventional
> core of C" has been covered? You have the rest of the book and functions to
> learn.

The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.

Bill Cunningham

"Malcolm McLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.

That is sure an encouraging thing.

Bill

Vincenzo Mercuri

Il 20/06/2010 22.27, Bill Cunningham ha scritto:
> Malcolm McLean wrote:
>
>> The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
>> don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
>> standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.

> But what about struct? It's mentioned in the last chapters and I don't
> know how one would just with the "C language" to right their own struct.
>
> Bill

I don't see any contradictions between the words 'conventional core'
and the content of Chapter 1. Maybe it depends on what you pretend
the 'conventional core' be. I think that the first five lines of Chapter
1 clearly explain what the intents of this brief introduction are.

--
Vincenzo Mercuri

Bill Cunningham

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
> don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
> standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.

But what about struct? It's mentioned in the last chapters and I don't
know how one would just with the "C language" to right their own struct.

Bill

Keith Thompson

"Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Malcolm McLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
> don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
> standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.
>
> That is sure an encouraging thing.

Bill, I thought you were going to stop using Outlook Express --
either that, or figure out some way to make it quote properly.

Nokia

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Bill, I thought you were going to stop using Outlook Express --
>either that, or figure out some way to make it quote properly.

Are you ever going to get tired of beating that dead horse?

--
(This discussion group is about C, ...)

Wrong. It is only OCCASIONALLY a discussion group
about C; mostly, like most "discussion" groups, it is
off-topic Rorsharch [sic] revelations of the childhood
traumas of the participants...

Malcolm McLean

On Jun 20, 8:57*pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Malcolm McLean wrote:
> > The C language isn't the same as the standard library. Many C programs
> > don't use the standard library at all. You can also write most of the
> > standard library in C. Try writing your own strlen() for example.

> * * But what about struct? It's mentioned in the last chapters and I don't
> know how one would just with the "C language" to right their own struct.

If struct is excluded from the "conventional core" I've obviously
misunderstood the term.

(structs were added late to C, originally each member was in global
namespace, so you couldn't have two structs pointi{int x, int y} and
pointf{float x; float y;}, or the x and y would collide.

Bill Cunningham

Keith Thompson wrote:

> Bill, I thought you were going to stop using Outlook Express --
> either that, or figure out some way to make it quote properly.

I am using quote fix right now.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Malcolm McLean wrote:

[snip]

Try writing your own strlen() for example.

Hum. That might be a little harder than I could tackle. But I see your
point. I would begin by using a char or int like this.

char q='"';

Count everything between and including the " stored in q. That would be
what I would call a string. I don't use strlen() much but I know what it
does.

Bill