Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT: Fooball

OT: Fooball

Carlos

Tks, Charlie!
At least you are not in the bandwagon of those who started criticizing
soccer (the real football) in this thread.
Football is worldwide spread. The "other" football is played only in one
country.

Let's see what happens next Saturday against Germany.
It'll be a long week.
We have Brazil/Chile tomorrow. I wish I could see it but I will be at work.

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Argentian through to the quarterfinals! Well done.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK, it's too quiet here, so time to stir things up. As a former US
> > resident, I suppose I _should_ be rooting for the US, but can't really see
> > myself doing that somehow. And obviously the only Canadian involved is a
> > ref, so not much to root for there. So I guess I'll have to fall back on
> > South Africa as my faint hope, and Argentina as the reality I can root for
> > in support of our Carlos.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, in fairness, that other football is played in two countries. Canadians
have a similar version. Doesn't matter, I won't watch either.

I don't often get to watch much soccer either, for that matter. But starting
this coming weekend, my TV time is fully booked for the Tour de France.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tks, Charlie!
> At least you are not in the bandwagon of those who started criticizing
> soccer (the real football) in this thread.
> Football is worldwide spread. The "other" football is played only in one
> country.
>
> Let's see what happens next Saturday against Germany.
> It'll be a long week.
> We have Brazil/Chile tomorrow. I wish I could see it but I will be at
> work.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Argentian through to the quarterfinals! Well done.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > OK, it's too quiet here, so time to stir things up. As a former US
>> > resident, I suppose I _should_ be rooting for the US, but can't really
>> > see
>> > myself doing that somehow. And obviously the only Canadian involved is
>> > ref, so not much to root for there. So I guess I'll have to fall back
>> > on
>> > South Africa as my faint hope, and Argentina as the reality I can root
>> > for
>> > in support of our Carlos.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.
>> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

John Turco

XS11E wrote:

> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > XS11E wrote:
> >> No matter how hard I try I cannot develop any interest at all.

> > Nor can I. After all, the >real< championship game of "football"
> > was already played, nearly five months ago:

> I suspect I don't have any interest in soccer for the same reason I
> have no interest in ice hockey, it's very hard to follow on TV (the
> camera is often aimed at the wrong place), I don't understand the rules
> or penalties.

You're quite correct, in my opinion...I, myself, couldn't develop
a liking for hockey. (Watched it a couple of times, on TV, in the
early 1970's.)

The North American "gridiron" type of football - and baseball, to
a lesser degree - have far greater appeal to me, because they're
inherently "strategic" games. Instead of the flowing action of
soccer and hockey, they allow suspense to build up, between
pitches and plays, respectively.

Basketball (I formerly loved it, long ago) lies somewhere in
the middle of the aforementioned sports. It's more dynamic than
either football or baseball; yet, it's slower paced than both
hockey and soccer.

> But you gotta admire a 'sport' where fans will follow a referee to his
> home and beat him to death for a bad call, where dozens of fans are
> killed by other fans rooting for the other side, where....... etc. etc.

Damned right! I could never understand such warped "mentalities" --
which, thankfully, are relatively unknown, here in North America.

Otherwise, there would probably be several deceased members of
officiating crews, after every Super Bowl and World Series.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

So, I see that you're continuing the crusade of the late "Blinky
the Shark," whose true name was Lee Rizor (1947-2009). I had a
few public discussions with him, on <news:rec.photo.digital>,
during 2008.

He's the one who informed me of my present, free NNTP server,
"Eternal September" (before, I'd been utilizing the inferior
"Aioe.org").

Alas, I was genuinely shocked to learn of his tragic death.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Carlos wrote:

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > OK, it's too quiet here, so time to stir things up. As a former US
> > > resident, I suppose I _should_ be rooting for the US, but can't really see
> > > myself doing that somehow. And obviously the only Canadian involved is a
> > > ref, so not much to root for there. So I guess I'll have to fall back on
> > > South Africa as my faint hope, and Argentina as the reality I can root for
> > > in support of our Carlos.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie.
> > > http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> > Argentian through to the quarterfinals! Well done.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> Tks, Charlie!
> At least you are not in the bandwagon of those who started criticizing
> soccer (the real football) in this thread.
> Football is worldwide spread. The "other" football is played only in one
> country.
>
> Let's see what happens next Saturday against Germany.
> It'll be a long week.
> We have Brazil/Chile tomorrow. I wish I could see it but I will be at work.
>
> Carlos

"Gridiron" football is where it's at! Conversely, soccer is a girly game,
endemic to peasant societies...such as, your own Latin American homeland.

(Calm down, mon amigo; I'm just kidding.)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>