Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to include a html navbar when using framesets

how to include a html navbar when using framesets

Rahul

I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
snippet within <body> tags like so:

###################
<head>
<link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
foo content
###################

But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
webpages has four charts on it like so:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg

############

<frameset rows="50%,50%">
<frameset cols="50%,50%">
<frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
<frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
</frameset>
<frameset cols="50%,50%">
<frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
<frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
</frameset>
</frameset>

################

But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
tags. Any tips?

--
Rahul

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

In alt.html, Rahul wrote:

> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
> standard snippet within <body> tags like so:

<snip>

> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

Yet another frameset.

--
-bts

Jerry Stuckle

Rahul wrote:
> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
> snippet within <body> tags like so:
>
> ###################
> <head>
> <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
> </head>

> <?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
> foo content
> ###################
>
> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
> webpages has four charts on it like so:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
>
> ############
>
> <frameset rows="50%,50%">
> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
> <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
> </frameset>
> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
> </frameset>
> </frameset>

> ################
>
> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
> tags. Any tips?

Try an HTML newsgroup.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Denis McMahon

On 17/06/10 21:47, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
>> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
>> standard snippet within <body> tags like so:

>> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
>> webpages has four charts on it like so:

>> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
>> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

> Try an HTML newsgroup.

What Jerry means is:

(a) Ask in an HTML newsgroup where in your frameset you can insert
content (i.e. the navigation bar).

(b) Insert your variant of "<?php include('nav.php'); ?>" at the
relevant place.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Rahul <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:Xns9D9A9A85DF116650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.73 .210:

> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
> standard snippet within <body> tags like so:
>
> ###################
><head>
> <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
></head>

><?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
> foo content
> ###################
>
> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
> webpages has four charts on it like so:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
>
> ############
>
><frameset rows="50%,50%">
> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
> <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
> </frameset>
> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
> <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
> </frameset>
></frameset>

> ################
>
> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

<?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>
<?php include "waittimes.php"; ?>
<?php include "shares.php"; ?>
<?php include "servers.php; ?>
<?php include "runtime.php"; ?>
<?php "footer_inc.php"; ?>

Then your CSS:
#header {/* your header styles */}
#waittimes, #shares, #servers, #runtime {width:45%; height:50%;
overflow:scroll;}
#waittimes, #servers {clear:left; float:left;}
#footer {clear:left; /* other footer styles */}

Play around with margins to suit.
--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

idle

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:47:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote in
alt.html,comp.lang.php:

> Rahul wrote:
>> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
>> snippet within <body> tags like so:
>>
>> ###################
>> <head>
>> <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
>> </head>

>> <?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
>> foo content
>> ###################
>>
>> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
>> webpages has four charts on it like so:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
>>
>> ############
>>
>> <frameset rows="50%,50%">
>> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
>> <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
>> <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
>> </frameset>
>> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
>> <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
>> <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
>> </frameset>
>> </frameset>

>> ################
>>
>> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
>> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
>> tags. Any tips?
>>

> Try an HTML newsgroup.

What a POS

--
Mama say, everybody little bit gay.

Rahul

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hvdvvg$sn7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Yet another frameset.

Thanks! That works.

--
Rahul

Rahul

Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

> <?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>

[snip]

Thanks! That works too. I was just using frames before as it allowed me a
nice way to get the ability to automatically scroll the plots when they
happen to be large in size. But your solution fixes that.

--
Rahul