Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Slow USB drive access

Re: Slow USB drive access

Bobby Johnson

In the Technet Win 7 Forums the USB problem has been discussed and the
problem is mostly associated with certain Intel chipsets and nVidia
chipsets.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro

This link will show you some of the threads that have discussed:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tibility+Forum

On 2010-06-16 22:55, MWulfe wrote:
> I recently upgraded from 32-bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit 7 Pro. Under
> Vista, I had no problems access an external 300gig USB drive with
> thousands of files. Now, every time I access that drive (even just
> opening explorer) it has to reindiex, or something that takes it
> several minutes to finish before I can read any files.
>
> What's goling on? What do I have to do to stop this?

Bobby Johnson

What chipset does your motherboard have? Trying to install software for
other chipsets will not do anything.

On 2010-06-18 07:01, MWulfe wrote:
> I went to the sites you mentioned, downloaded and installed the fixes
> even tho I don't have nVidia chipset, and this did not make any
> difference.
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 06:18:55 -0400, Bobby Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> In the Technet Win 7 Forums the USB problem has been discussed and the
>> problem is mostly associated with certain Intel chipsets and nVidia
>> chipsets.
>>
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
>>
>> This link will show you some of the threads that have discussed:
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tibility+Forum
>>

>> On 2010-06-16 22:55, MWulfe wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded from 32-bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit 7 Pro. Under
>>> Vista, I had no problems access an external 300gig USB drive with
>>> thousands of files. Now, every time I access that drive (even just
>>> opening explorer) it has to reindiex, or something that takes it
>>> several minutes to finish before I can read any files.
>>>
>>> What's goling on? What do I have to do to stop this?

Dominic Payer

Go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx and install and run
the Intel Driver Update Utility.

On 18/06/2010 22:32, MWulfe wrote:

> Its a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L mobo with Intel P43 + ICH10 Chipset.

Dominic Payer

If you install and run the Driver Update Utility it will scan your
system and identify which Intel drivers you need to update.

On 25/06/2010 00:04, MWulfe wrote:
> I visited the Intel site you suggested, and there are several
> downloads for chipset updates. But I can't find any mention of P43 or
> ICH10, or my Gigabyte model. Several downloads appear after running a
> search on the site for ICH10, but I cannot tell which is appropriate
> for my chipset/motherboard.
>
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:44:52 +0100, Dominic Payer<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> Go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx and install and run
>> the Intel Driver Update Utility.
>>

>> On 18/06/2010 22:32, MWulfe wrote:
>>>
>>> Its a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L mobo with Intel P43 + ICH10 Chipset.

Dominic Payer

You can get drivers for your board at
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...w=GA-EP43-UD3L.

The problem may be that the external drive firmware is not fully
compatible with Windows 7. Have you scanned the drive for errors?