Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Connect 857 ADSL router to Metro Ethernet network

Connect 857 ADSL router to Metro Ethernet network

Vivian

Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
tagging. Thank you.
-------------------------------------

| http://forums.cabling-design.com/
| *** a better way to USENET ***
| comp.dcom.sys.cisco - 45840 messages and counting!

Doug McIntyre

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Vivian) writes:
>Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
>tagging. Thank you.

Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable inbetween.

Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be better.

bod43

On 17 June, 14:41, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Vivian) writes:
> >Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
> >tagging. Thank you.

> Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable inbetween.
>
> Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be better.

Hmmmm. 857 only supports one VLAN and cannot
run Advanced IP Services Feature Set.

Might work but I guess it wont.

877 supports 1 to 4 VLANS. No idea at all if it might do
QinQ tunneling. I kind of thought that the "switch" hardware was quite
basic.

www.cisco.com/go/fn -- Feature Navigator might assist.
May not be available for public access. Not sure.

Vivian

Vivian had written this in response to
http://forums.cabling-design.com/cis...ork-47148-.htm
:

bod43 wrote:

> On 17 June, 14:41, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Vivian) writes:
>> >Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3
>>> switch with QinQ
>> >tagging. Thank you.

>> Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable
>> inbetween.
>>
>> Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be
>> better.

> Hmmmm. 857 only supports one VLAN and cannot
> run Advanced IP Services Feature Set.

> Might work but I guess it wont.

> 877 supports 1 to 4 VLANS. No idea at all if it might do
> QinQ tunneling. I kind of thought that the "switch" hardware
> was quite
> basic.

> www.cisco.com/go/fn -- Feature Navigator might assist.
> May not be available for public access. Not sure.

-------------------------------------
QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to Metro
Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and VLAN
100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work, having
only this client on the 3750?
Thank you very much.

http://forums.cabling-design.com/cis...ork-47149-.htm
:
> -------------------------------------
> QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to
> Metro
> Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and
> VLAN
> 100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work,
> having
> only this client on the 3750?
> Thank you very much.

-------------------------------------

Rephrasing my question, the problem is if i can configure QinQ with VLAN 1
(as the C-VLAN) and VLAN 100 (as the S-VLAN) in a 3750 that connects to a
857 router that doesn't support VLANs.
If anyone knows, could you please help in this.
Thank you!

| http://forums.cabling-design.com/
| *** a better way to USENET ***
| comp.dcom.sys.cisco - 45866 messages and counting!

bod43

On 22 June, 12:00, (E-Mail Removed) (Vivian) wrote:
> Vivian had written this in response tohttp://forums.cabling-design.com/cisco/Re-Connect-857-ADSL-router-to-...
> *:
>
> > -------------------------------------
> > QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to
> > Metro
> > Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and
> > VLAN
> > 100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work,
> > having
> > only this client on the 3750?
> > Thank you very much.

> -------------------------------------
>
> Rephrasing my question, the problem is if i can configure QinQ with VLAN 1
> (as the C-VLAN) and VLAN 100 (as the S-VLAN) in a 3750 that connects to a
> 857 router that doesn't support VLANs.
> If anyone knows, could you please help in this.
> Thank you!

You need to give more explanation for me to be sure
however:-

If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured
as an access port then you are all OK. This access port
can be a member of any VLAN you choose on the 3750.
In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is
untagged.

If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured
as a trunk then you can't. (I suppose you might
argue that you could use the dot1q native VLAN but
that would just be stupidly obtuse in any practical sense).
In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is
tagged and the 851 won't be able to deal with it.

I have now checked with the feature navigator
www.cisco.com/go/fn and it appears confirmed that no
IEEE 802.1Q VLAN features are supported on the 851.
This means that my statements above are correct.

Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

www.cisco.co/go/fn
choose
Search by platform
Select 851 from the Platform drop down
Press continue
Scroll down and observe that there are no
IEEE 802.1Q ........
entries

Press Back Button on browser
Select 871 from the Platform drop down
Select Feature Set/Licenses - Advanced IP Services
Scroll down and observe that there ARE
IEEE 802.1Q ........
entries

These seem particularly handy.
IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling
IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support
IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Trunking

alexd

On 22/06/10 13:50, bod43 wrote:

> Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
> seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

I find Web Developer Toolbar useful for this; Forms > Convert POSTs to
GETs will give you a URL you can link to, email to someone etc. Useful
for other sites too.

20:42:25 up 55 days, 23:29, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.15, 0.31
It is better to have been wasted and then sober
than to never have been wasted at all

bod43

On 22 June, 20:44, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 22/06/10 13:50, bod43 wrote:
>
> > Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
> > seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

> I find Web Developer Toolbar useful for this; Forms > Convert POSTs to
> GETs will give you a URL you can link to, email to someone etc. Useful
> for other sites too.

Thanks a lot.

Very handy. Took a bit of mindless hacking to figure out
how to drive it since I have no idea what any of it means
but all working now

851 - any software so none selected
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dis...play&searchby=

871 Advanced IP Services
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dis...HFS_But=Update

For the un-initiated - like me.

Install "Web Developer :: Add-ons for Firefox"
You already have firefox and Adblock Plus obviously
so you know how to install add-ons

Navigate towards the web page that is unhelpfully not giving
you a valid link.
e.g.
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dis...rchby=platform

Once you actually choose platform all you get is:-
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch

BEFORE you choose the platform

On the toolbar select
Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs

Then "execute" the form by choosing the platform,
maybe you have to press "Continue" I forget.

The address bar displays a valid URL that can be used
to return to the page.

You have to repeat the
Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs
each time you execute the form since on each realod
I guess (wildly) it reloads the offending post method.