Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbie: Deploying/Publishing Web Site and Registering Domain Name

Reply
Thread Tools

Newbie: Deploying/Publishing Web Site and Registering Domain Name

 
 
PeterOut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2010
I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
deploying and publishing.

I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
on my hard drive.

I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
any advice.

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
idle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2010
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:

> I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
> They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
> locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
> all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
> anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
> deploying and publishing.
>
> I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
> name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
> January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
> seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
> a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
> domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
> that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
> on my hard drive.
>
> I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
> any advice.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter.


Step 1
Buy domain name.
Step 2
Buy hosting.
Step 3
Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
Step 4
FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.


--
Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
idle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
>
> > ... I would like to find the best value for registering a
> > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
> > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
> > on my hard drive.
> >
> > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
> > any advice.
> >


>
> Step 1
> Buy domain name.


You can get a .com domain name for as little as $Aust9 per year,
a .com.au for $Aust12

> Step 2
> Buy hosting.


Many at less than $Aust4 per month.

> Step 3
> Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.



> Step 4
> FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.


There are free FTP programs, there is an add-on (FireFTP) to the
Firefox browser

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2010
PeterOut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
>They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
>locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
>all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
>anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
>deploying and publishing.
>
>I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
>name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
>January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
>seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
>a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
>domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
>that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
>on my hard drive.


I have written some notes on part of this topic -
<http://cheapweb.profectus.com.au>. They aims to separate the three
concepts of registering a domain name, managing a domain name, and
hosting a domain name. I am reliably informed that they are
incomprehensible so I would value your (and any other) comments on how
to improve it. You have currently assigned all three roles to Yahoo
and your easiest option is to pay to continue this but my notes are
intended to guide you towards "best value".

My notes do not cover how to transfer your data to your domain name
host if you do not want to host the site on your own computer. I use
Dreamweaver (there is a free trial) which includes a "New Site" wizard
that will guide through the set up process and show you how to
transfer your files. I'm sure most of the free web development
programs have a similar feature. Once you learn what is required you
can use something like Filezilla to do the transfer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterOut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2010
On Jun 16, 8:02*pm, idle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
>
>
>
> > I have developed some web pages using XHTML. *I also have a css file.
> > They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
> > locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. *However it is
> > all local to my PC. *I would now like to deploy it to the web so
> > anyone can access it. *Actually I do not know the difference between
> > deploying and publishing.

>
> > I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
> > name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
> > January. *I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
> > seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
> > a single page. *I would like to find the best value for registering a
> > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
> > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
> > on my hard drive.

>
> > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
> > any advice.

>
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Peter.

>
> Step 1
> Buy domain name.
> Step 2
> Buy hosting.
> Step 3
> Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
> Step 4
> FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.
>
> --
> Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.


Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.

Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
attached.

Thanks again,
Peter.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2010
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed PeterOut
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:0ceddf1a-31e4-419d-ab35-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> On Jun 16, 8:02*pm, idle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
>>
>>
>>
>> > I have developed some web pages using XHTML. *I also have a css

file.
>> > They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
>> > locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. *However it is
>> > all local to my PC. *I would now like to deploy it to the web so
>> > anyone can access it. *Actually I do not know the difference

between
>> > deploying and publishing.

>>
>> > I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a

domain
>> > name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
>> > January. *I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have

not
>> > seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have

for
>> > a single page. *I would like to find the best value for registering

a
>> > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
>> > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are

stored
>> > on my hard drive.

>>
>> > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly

value
>> > any advice.

>>
>> > Many thanks in advance,
>> > Peter.

>>
>> Step 1
>> Buy domain name.
>> Step 2
>> Buy hosting.
>> Step 3
>> Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
>> Step 4
>> FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.
>>
>> --
>> Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

>
> Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
> response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.
>
> Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
> http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
> dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
> which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
> difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
> price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
> attached.
>
> Thanks again,
> Peter.
>


Personally, I would never buy a domain name with Yahoo. Yahoo has great
mail, and a great search engine, and is a great portal. They do not
make a great domain registrar. Getting an answer from them on the phone
is tedious, and email may not give the right answer.

I would also never host with them. Currently, they are still using PHP
4.3.11 (PHP is up to 5.3.2) and last time I checked, Registered Globals
were still enabled. I was told at one point that they were not going to
be upgrading for SECURITY reasons. They also do not allow .htaccess for
the same reason. I have a post about this
[http://my.opera.com/arbpen/blog/2009...-in-hell-with-
yahoo]. I had used one of their support forms to email them, and guess
what? To this day, I have never gotten a response.

Yes, I would definately look elsewhere. GoDaddy has it's issues, but I
have never had a problem with them, and they do a lot of things for no
cost, such as domain forwarding with no nasty frames.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Domain Registering Companies Reserving Domain Names AF HTML 8 08-23-2004 07:12 PM



Advertisments