Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Tkinter Linux Repair Question/ Python TCP Socket Example

Python Tkinter Linux Repair Question/ Python TCP Socket Example

My Python

I got to target my little GUI app that uses TCP sockets in Python
2.4.4 for Windows and Linux.

Question 1
=========
Given the above, I installed 2.4.4 on Windows 7 and Tkinter import
works like a charm. (the install is good)

The Linux (Red Hat 4.1.2-46) though has python preinstalled with ver
2.4.4, but Tkinter import fails:

>>> from Tkinter import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Could someone please explain how to configure python for Tk or
(reinstall the Tkinter package by itself will be easier and get rid of
the issue, if so how to install)??

I tried reinstall the entire python-2.4.4.tar, followed instructions
(./configure, make, make install) -- this did not fix Tkinter.

Question 2
========
Can some one post a URL (or a sample module itself) that shows how to
write basic TCP socket application?
Any pointers, tutorials, youtube.com links are welcome if they are
specific.

Please post responses to this thread only (the e-mail is dummy)

TIA!!!

Thomas Jollans

On 06/15/2010 11:35 PM, My Python wrote:
> I got to target my little GUI app that uses TCP sockets in Python
> 2.4.4 for Windows and Linux.
>

> Question 1
> =========
> Given the above, I installed 2.4.4 on Windows 7 and Tkinter import
> works like a charm. (the install is good)
>
> The Linux (Red Hat 4.1.2-46) though has python preinstalled with ver
> 2.4.4, but Tkinter import fails:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
> import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
> for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter
>>>>

> Could someone please explain how to configure python for Tk or
> (reinstall the Tkinter package by itself will be easier and get rid of
> the issue, if so how to install)??

To build from source with Tkinter, you'll need to install Tcl/Tk first.

Many Linux distributions split up Python, so that the interpreter
package doesn't depend on Tk and X11 being installed. Debian GNU/Linux
has a "python-tk" package. I'm sure there is an equivalent package in
RHEL. You'll just have to find, it, and install.

-- Thomas

> I tried reinstall the entire python-2.4.4.tar, followed instructions
> (./configure, make, make install) -- this did not fix Tkinter.
>
> Question 2
> ========
> Can some one post a URL (or a sample module itself) that shows how to
> write basic TCP socket application?

I believe the stdlin asyncore/asynchat documentation includes some
example code...

> Any pointers, tutorials, youtube.com links are welcome if they are
> specific.
>

> Please post responses to this thread only (the e-mail is dummy)
>
> TIA!!!

Grant Edwards

http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html#example

http://docs.python.org/library/asyncore.html

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/

> Any pointers, tutorials, youtube.com links are welcome if they are
> specific.

Youtube videos? Seriously? There are youtube videos of programming
examples? That sounds horrible...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want to mail a
at bronzed artichoke to

My Python

1. Could u also quote some URLs for sample GUI programs written using
Tkinter. I am looking for any aubstantial app that has Canvas, Frame,
Button, LIstbox widgets, plus File Open/Save for simple text files.

2. Some good holistic article for positioning widgets on the frame/
canvas, basic concepts that are explained visually with diagrams.

TIA