Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Rechargable batteries and information

Rechargable batteries and information

john hamiliton

My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at
5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in proportional
price for another 150 mAh ? )

In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?

Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

nospam@ntlworld.com

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
"john hamiliton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
> tomorrow.
>
> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
> for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
> 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump
> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>
> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
> Argos?
>
> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.

Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
NiMH last time I looked.

Mr. Benn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
> "john hamiliton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
>> for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
>> 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump
>> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>
>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
>> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
>> Argos?
>>
>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>>

> Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
> requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
> better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
> NiMH last time I looked.

Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
brand AAs and AAAs for around 4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
selling lower capacity rechargeables.

John

"Mr. Benn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hv5i1u$430$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
>> "john hamiliton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>>> tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
>>> for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
>>> 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump
>>> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>>
>>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
>>> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
>>> Argos?
>>>
>>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>>>

>> Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
>> requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
>> better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
>> NiMH last time I looked.

> Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
> brand AAs and AAAs for around 4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
> selling lower capacity rechargeables.

I am delighted with my Sanyo eneloop batteries - I also have some 7 Day Shop
versions - as yet untried. Ideal for camera where it may go unused for
periods of time.

CD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
for continued listening.

newshound

"CD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.

The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
them.

OG

"john hamiliton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hv5fke$oj4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
> tomorrow.
>
> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
> 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
> at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in
> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>
> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
>
> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
> batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in voltage
that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a 850mAh
hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at least
that's what I've found with my digital camera.

As for where to buy them; Amazon has good prices (4x AAA uniross hybrio for
<4 and free P&P )

Steve Terry

"CD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.

For the money Lidl's Tronic brand NiMh cells are great, only problem
is it's anyone's guess when they are in stock.
My local lidl's have been out of stock of them for the last 6 months

Lots of hi capacity AAA on eBay such as:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-AAA-1800mAH-...item3a5973124c

3.28 for 8

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Mark Ingle

john hamiliton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no tomorrow.
>
> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
> 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at
> 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in proportional
> price for another 150 mAh ? )

I don't know whether the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the same as all
other hybrid batteries, but I find them so much better than standard
NiMH batteries; though as you have pointed out, the rated capacities are
similar. The USP is that they hold their charge, but in my experience
they seem to be better at holding their full charge even after months of
charge/discharges. These cost about 7 pounds for four AAAs from amazon,
but IMO well worth the price premium.

Richard Tobin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Does anyone know what the technology of hybrid batteries is? I don't
>mean what they do, I mean the chemistry or whatever.

"Hybrid" appears to be a marketing term for some brands of low
self-discharge (amusingly abbreviated to "LSD") NIMH batteries.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_sel...e_NiMH_battery
and note some of the brand names.

-- Richard