Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Rechargable batteries and information

Rechargable batteries and information

The Natural Philosopher

Steve Terry wrote:
> "spacecadet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
>>> from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
>>> it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
>>> last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
>>> will keep going for some time on FM.

>> You're thinking of NiCads. NiMhs are 1.5V.
>>

> Ummm nope, NiCad's are nominally around 1.25v
> NiMH nominally around 1.35v
>
> Steve Terry

Nominal voltage for both is around 1.2v per cell median discharge, 1.4
fully charged.

The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
> "Steve Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i00dcb$fuq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "spacecadet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You're thinking of NiCads. NiMhs are 1.5V.
>>>

>> Ummm nope, NiCad's are nominally around 1.25v
>> NiMH nominally around 1.35v

> NiMH cells say 1.2V on them.
>
> And indeed I observe pretty much the same average voltage during the
> discharge cycle averaging about 1.25V.
> NiMH may start slightly higher than NiCads but they very quickly drop to
> pretty much the same voltage as NiCad.

They are virtually identical. both will take a surface charge up to
maybe 1.5v per cell, but it only last seconds..