Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] Don't forget to send in your wallpaper!

Re: [SI] Don't forget to send in your wallpaper!

Peter

"Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> About a week to go for the latest mandate, Wallpaper. Be sure to send
> in your best shot, and remember, all shots must be 1920 pixels x 1200
> pixels in size.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
>
> More info about the Shoot-In here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Didn't I read somewhere that an archival image was OK for this one image?

--
Peter

Peter

> On 2010-06-12 10:35:20 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> About a week to go for the latest mandate, Wallpaper. Be sure to send
>>> in your best shot, and remember, all shots must be 1920 pixels x 1200
>>> pixels in size.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
>>>
>>> More info about the Shoot-In here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>> Didn't I read somewhere that an archival image was OK for this one image?

> Check with Bowser. He and Bret have already gone around in circles over
> entry dates on this one.
> I believe he lifted the 300 kb limit for one entry @ 1920x1200.
>
> I think the archive entry was for the "Facescape" SI.

Thanks,

I have two candidates within the mandate period, but one archival I like a
lot better. Guess I will wait for Bowser.

--
Peter

Peter

> On 2010-06-12 10:35:20 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> About a week to go for the latest mandate, Wallpaper. Be sure to send
>>> in your best shot, and remember, all shots must be 1920 pixels x 1200
>>> pixels in size.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
>>>
>>> More info about the Shoot-In here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>> Didn't I read somewhere that an archival image was OK for this one image?

> Here was what Bowser posted back in April with his SI Wallpaper
> declaration;
>
> "Next, the new mandate announcement: The Wallpaper Project. Here's what
> this means: I use a few of my shots as wallpaper on my PC; we all
> probably do. This mandate will challenge the shooter to produce the
> best wallpaper in wide screen format so other users can download and
> use the shot as wallpaper on their PC. All submissions must be 1920 x
> 1200 pixels to fill a wide monitor. Shooters are limited to ONE
> submission for this mandate only, so make your wallpaper a good one,
> and make sure it looks good at large sizes (like a 24" monitor). You
> may include your "signature" on the photo, as well. Lastly, the 300K
> file size limit is waived for this mandate."

Thanks, I remember that.
Now it's starting to bother me. I simply don't know where I got my idea
from, .

--
Peter

Peter

> On 2010-06-12 17:21:45 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Here was what Bowser posted back in April with his SI Wallpaper
>>> declaration;
>>>
>>> "Next, the new mandate announcement: The Wallpaper Project. Here's what
>>> this means: I use a few of my shots as wallpaper on my PC; we all
>>> probably do. This mandate will challenge the shooter to produce the
>>> best wallpaper in wide screen format so other users can download and
>>> use the shot as wallpaper on their PC. All submissions must be 1920 x
>>> 1200 pixels to fill a wide monitor. Shooters are limited to ONE
>>> submission for this mandate only, so make your wallpaper a good one,
>>> and make sure it looks good at large sizes (like a 24" monitor). You
>>> may include your "signature" on the photo, as well. Lastly, the 300K
>>> file size limit is waived for this mandate."
>>>

>> Thanks, I remember that.
>> Now it's starting to bother me. I simply don't know where I got my idea
>> from, .

> It's OK. You are not going crazy. Here is what he posted on April 28;
>
> "Just a reminder that we have two active mandates, Facescapes and The
> Wallpaper Project, open for submissions. Facescapes is due May 16th,
> 2010 and Wallpaper is due June 20th, 2010. Links are here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/facescape
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
>
> Amplifying info:
>
> Facescape: shoot a close up of a human face and show it in
> excrutiating detail. Don't worry about archive shots on this one...
>
> Wallpaper: shoot something, whatever you want, and make it suitable
> for PC wallpaper. the image must be 1920 x 1200 pixels so it can
> properly fill a good size wide screen monitor. And for this mandate
> you're limited to one submission, but the usual 300K file size
> limitation is waived. And don't be like some lazy Nikon wannabes from
> TN, shoot something new; don't submit archive shots."
>
> So your memory is not failing you.
> ...yet.

OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three candidates.
I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
shoot puffins, next weekend.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:07:16 -0400, "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three candidates.
>I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
>shoot puffins, next weekend.

Is a hunting permit required? Is there a bag limit? Any recipes?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dudley Hanks

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:07:16 -0400, "Peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three
>>candidates.
>>I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
>>shoot puffins, next weekend.

> Is a hunting permit required? Is there a bag limit? Any recipes?

Do they go "poof" when they're shot?

Take Care,
Dudley

Henry Olson

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:49:16 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:07:16 -0400, "Peter"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three candidates.
>>I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
>>shoot puffins, next weekend.

>Is a hunting permit required? Is there a bag limit? Any recipes?

When living in remote areas of the Everglades for many months I often
wondered why there's no recipes for Vultures. Some of them would browse not
more than a few feet from where I would sit at my campsite. It would be
easy to just reach out and grab their necks. Locals claimed the reason was
that vultures only eat carrion and this would make them unfit for human
consumption. Yet I have photographic proof that they eat live fish most of
the morning. Catching them just like any crane or other wading bird.
There's lots of animals that we use for food that only eat dead things. In
fact humans themselves are mostly carrion eaters (aside from the few that
relish sashimi, sushi, and tartare recipes). Why are Vultures off the
table? When back in civilization I searched the net for Vulture recipes,
but the only thing I found was joke recipes. Has nobody ever tried them?
Where they are plentiful I'd think they'd be a better source of holiday
dinners than turkeys. They're about the same size with huge flight-muscles.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:07:16 -0400, "Peter"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three candidates.
>>I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
>>shoot puffins, next weekend.

>Is a hunting permit required? Is there a bag limit? Any recipes?

When living in remote areas of the Everglades for many months I often
wondered why there's no recipes for Vultures. Some of them would browse not
more than a few feet from where I would sit at my campsite. It would be
easy to just reach out and grab their necks. Locals claimed the reason was
that vultures only eat carrion and this would make them unfit for human
consumption. Yet I have photographic proof that they eat live fish most of
the morning. Catching them just like any crane or other wading bird.
There's lots of animals that we use for food that only eat dead things. In
fact humans themselves are mostly carrion eaters (aside from the few that
relish sashimi, sushi, and tartare recipes). Why are Vultures off the
table? When back in civilization I searched the net for Vulture recipes,
but the only thing I found was joke recipes. Has nobody ever tried them?
Where they are plentiful I'd think they'd be a better source of holiday
dinners than turkeys. They're about the same size with huge flight-muscles.

p.s. For the record, when I asked locals what unusual odd green colored
wading birds were (Green Herons in breeding plumage, which I never saw that
brightly colored before) they told me they called them "Steak Birds",
because they taste just like steak.

Tim Conway

"Henry Olson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:49:16 -0400, tony cooper
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:07:16 -0400, "Peter"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>OK. Yes, I just got confused between the two. I am down to three
>>>candidates.
>>>I must get it done within the next few days as we have a planned trip to
>>>shoot puffins, next weekend.

>>Is a hunting permit required? Is there a bag limit? Any recipes?

> When living in remote areas of the Everglades for many months I often
> wondered why there's no recipes for Vultures. Some of them would browse
> not
> more than a few feet from where I would sit at my campsite. It would be
> easy to just reach out and grab their necks. Locals claimed the reason was
> that vultures only eat carrion and this would make them unfit for human
> consumption. Yet I have photographic proof that they eat live fish most of
> the morning. Catching them just like any crane or other wading bird.
> There's lots of animals that we use for food that only eat dead things. In
> fact humans themselves are mostly carrion eaters (aside from the few that
> relish sashimi, sushi, and tartare recipes). Why are Vultures off the
> table? When back in civilization I searched the net for Vulture recipes,
> but the only thing I found was joke recipes. Has nobody ever tried them?
> Where they are plentiful I'd think they'd be a better source of holiday
> dinners than turkeys. They're about the same size with huge
> flight-muscles.
>

> p.s. For the record, when I asked locals what unusual odd green colored
> wading birds were (Green Herons in breeding plumage, which I never saw
> that
> brightly colored before) they told me they called them "Steak Birds",
> because they taste just like steak.

Interesting about the Green Herons. I never really considered eating them.
hmmm
My guess about the vultures is that someone tried them sometime and they
tasted so bad that it was quickly forgotten and hushed up. LOL. The idea
itself is kinda repulsive - except for the ones like you said that eat the
live fish. You'd think they would taste fishy, like some ducks that eat
mostly fish.

Tim Conway

"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Tim Conway wrote:
>

>> Interesting about the Green Herons. I never really considered eating
>> them. hmmm
>> My guess about the vultures is that someone tried them sometime and they
>> tasted so bad that it was quickly forgotten and hushed up. LOL. The idea
>> itself is kinda repulsive - except for the ones like you said that eat
>> the live fish. You'd think they would taste fishy, like some ducks that
>> eat mostly fish.
>>

> In my part of the world they would probably taste like armadillos. For
> appetizers, some could be selected that taste like squirrel. Bur who wants
> anything that tastes like squirrel or (especially) armadillo?

In PA some people eat squirrel pot pie. Not me. I never tasted it but
they're like rats to me, not appetizing at all.