Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Info services on S450IP

Info services on S450IP

Dave Saville

Anyone managed to get the screen saver working with this? The web
config says you must have the screen saver "clock" or "info services"
active. I have clock but nothing seems to happen.

TIA

Regards
Dave Saville

Bodincus

(09/06/10 22:26), Dave Saville:
> Anyone managed to get the screen saver working with this? The web
> config says you must have the screen saver "clock" or "info services"
> active. I have clock but nothing seems to happen.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards Dave Saville

You might need to configure what info service you want to appear.

Although you can do it from the handset itself, I suggest you to
configure the services from the Gigaset portal on the web.

Login on it with the details you find on the phones' management
interface at the "Info Services" menu selection.

Click on the link you can see on the page and enter your username and
password there.

The rest is quite well guided and explained on the Gigaset portal.

It can take a few minutes for the phones to pick up your new settings
and changes, but to expedite the process you can follow this procedure:
- pick up the handset
- press two times the red hangup button
- re-seat the handset in the cradle and wait a few seconds.

You should see the clock screen saver kick in and immediately a bell
appear on the display, with a quick flash of the "message" key on the
keypad.

After that, the display should come back to the normal screen, only for
the screen saver to kick in again, but now you should see the
information you chose on the portal.

Beware, by its very nature some of the services are not well suited for
this type of application.

I have successfully used the Weather Forecast, the Biorhythm, and the
Horoscope.

HTH
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Dave Saville

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:17:13 UTC, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, see insertions.

> (09/06/10 22:26), Dave Saville:
> > Anyone managed to get the screen saver working with this? The web
> > config says you must have the screen saver "clock" or "info services"
> > active. I have clock but nothing seems to happen.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Regards Dave Saville

> You might need to configure what info service you want to appear.

Have done.

> Although you can do it from the handset itself, I suggest you to
> configure the services from the Gigaset portal on the web.

Tried both.

> Login on it with the details you find on the phones' management
> interface at the "Info Services" menu selection.
>
> Click on the link you can see on the page and enter your username and
> password there.
>
> The rest is quite well guided and explained on the Gigaset portal.
>
> It can take a few minutes for the phones to pick up your new settings
> and changes, but to expedite the process you can follow this procedure:
> - pick up the handset
> - press two times the red hangup button
> - re-seat the handset in the cradle and wait a few seconds.

Neat trick - where did you find that out?

> You should see the clock screen saver kick in and immediately a bell
> appear on the display, with a quick flash of the "message" key on the
> keypad.
>
> After that, the display should come back to the normal screen, only for
> the screen saver to kick in again, but now you should see the
> information you chose on the portal.
>
> Beware, by its very nature some of the services are not well suited for
> this type of application.
>
> I have successfully used the Weather Forecast, the Biorhythm, and the
> Horoscope.
>
> HTH

Well to would if it had Trying the weather - Nothing. Clock comes
up and stays until display goes out. Do you need "backlight on cradle"
set to "on"?

Firmware version: 022230000000 / 043.00
EEPROM version: 183

I take it the base unit is fetching the data? ie it's not being sent
and bouncing off the firewall? This all started because I wanted to
put my own info up - I run my own web server. Could not get that to
work, thought it might be me and tried the weather. My page works OK
if you specifically fetch it.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Bodincus

(10/06/10 10:24), Dave Saville:
>> Login on it with the details you find on the phones' management
>> interface at the "Info Services" menu selection.
>>
>> Click on the link you can see on the page and enter your username
>> and password there.
>>
>> The rest is quite well guided and explained on the Gigaset portal.
>>
>> It can take a few minutes for the phones to pick up your new
>> settings and changes, but to expedite the process you can follow
>> this procedure: - pick up the handset - press two times the red
>> hangup button - re-seat the handset in the cradle and wait a few
>> seconds.

> Neat trick - where did you find that out?

Don't know, somewhere in the Gigaset portal FAQ or other documents I've
read when I deployed them at my home.

>> You should see the clock screen saver kick in and immediately a
>> bell appear on the display, with a quick flash of the "message" key
>> on the keypad.
>>
>> After that, the display should come back to the normal screen, only
>> for the screen saver to kick in again, but now you should see the
>> information you chose on the portal.
>>
>> Beware, by its very nature some of the services are not well suited
>> for this type of application.
>>
>> I have successfully used the Weather Forecast, the Biorhythm, and
>> the Horoscope.
>>
>> HTH

> Well to would if it had Trying the weather - Nothing. Clock
> comes up and stays until display goes out. Do you need "backlight on
> cradle" set to "on"?

I'd recommend to leave it to "yes", the display might go blank before
the system it's able to fetch and output data on the screen.
I have one in the bedroom with that setting and the info display is just
a glimpse before the screen goes blank.
The other two have the backlight permanently on and they display the
weather info, constantly updating it without fail.

> Firmware version: 022230000000 / 043.00 EEPROM version: 183

Same as mine, on C475IP.

> I take it the base unit is fetching the data?

Yes

> ie it's not being sent and bouncing off the firewall?

It's an HTTP call, initiated by an internal device. It MUST work through
a firewall of any type.

> This all started because I wanted to put my own info up - I run my
> own web server.

Is it inside your own network? If you configured the Gigaset portal to
access your info on your internal server using an internal IP
(192.168.x.x) sure it won't work, verging to the complete mayhem, for
the whole info service to bail out.
The info is collected by the Gigaset servers and then dispatched to the
specific unit when the base fetches it from there.
So if your server is internal to your network and is not accessible from
outside with NAT or PAT, the Gigaset servers won't be able to collect
the information, and your whole account could be borked or down.

> Could not get that to work, thought it might be me and tried the
> weather. My page works OK if you specifically fetch it.

Are you using the specific - very limited - HTML subset specified by
Siemens for the info your pages are pushing out?
Can I have your info service URL?

Remove your own service from the portal and see if it works.
I had a few hiccups at the very beginning, now it's 5 months it's up and
didn't fail me one time, although I didn't have the time yet to
experiment with a self built info service...
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic

Dave Saville

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:57:31 UTC, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > Well to would if it had Trying the weather - Nothing. Clock
> > comes up and stays until display goes out. Do you need "backlight on
> > cradle" set to "on"?

> I'd recommend to leave it to "yes", the display might go blank before
> the system it's able to fetch and output data on the screen.
> I have one in the bedroom with that setting and the info display is just
> a glimpse before the screen goes blank.
> The other two have the backlight permanently on and they display the
> weather info, constantly updating it without fail.
>
> > Firmware version: 022230000000 / 043.00 EEPROM version: 183

> Same as mine, on C475IP.

10 minutes and still nothing.

> > I take it the base unit is fetching the data?

> Yes
>
> > ie it's not being sent and bouncing off the firewall?

> It's an HTTP call, initiated by an internal device. It MUST work through
> a firewall of any type.

Good.

> > This all started because I wanted to put my own info up - I run my
> > own web server.

> Is it inside your own network? If you configured the Gigaset portal to
> access your info on your internal server using an internal IP
> (192.168.x.x) sure it won't work, verging to the complete mayhem, for
> the whole info service to bail out.
> The info is collected by the Gigaset servers and then dispatched to the
> specific unit when the base fetches it from there.
> So if your server is internal to your network and is not accessible from
> outside with NAT or PAT, the Gigaset servers won't be able to collect
> the information, and your whole account could be borked or down.

External address. I am not sure you are correct in that the Gigaset
servers collect the data because my server logs show the (external) ip
address of the base unit against the page fetch request. My guess is
that the Gigaset server simply passes the URL(s). My page works fine
if I specifically ask for it.

> > Could not get that to work, thought it might be me and tried the
> > weather. My page works OK if you specifically fetch it.

> Are you using the specific - very limited - HTML subset specified by
> Siemens for the info your pages are pushing out?
> Can I have your info service URL?

Yes, in fact it is a hacked example from their PDF - which threw
errors as is
> Remove your own service from the portal and see if it works.

Well "My applications" is disabled and it does not work.

Later.

Removed my service - no change.

> I had a few hiccups at the very beginning, now it's 5 months it's up and
> didn't fail me one time, although I didn't have the time yet to
> experiment with a self built info service...

I just get the feeling I am missing something obvious
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Christoph Schweers

Am 10.06.2010 19:36, schrieb Dave Saville:
> I just get the feeling I am missing something obvious

Yes, you do Your Handset Gigaset S45 does not support the Info
services. The Handset Gigaset C47H of Bodincus however does!

Christoph

--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Bodincus

(10/06/10 22:33), Christoph Schweers:
> Am 10.06.2010 19:36, schrieb Dave Saville:
>> I just get the feeling I am missing something obvious

> Yes, you do Your Handset Gigaset S45 does not support the Info
> services. The Handset Gigaset C47H of Bodincus however does!
>
> Christoph

D'OH! It's a handset thing...???

But the OP said he did set up everything correctly on the web interface
AND the handset...

I supposed he had a handset with that functionality registered with its
base... As far as I know - and as far as what the Gigaset website says -
the S450IP base can register other models of handsets, and some support
the Info Services.

Right: if in the menu you get pressing the right side of the central
wheel, there is a "Sel Services" option, and selecting it you get the
"Info center" option in the subsequent menu, the handset supports the
Info Services function.

Select that option, and as the last option in the menu you should see
"Screen Saver". If you don't, Tango Sierra.

The S45H doesn't support the Info Service as screensaver with the S450IP
base, but the S67H, S68H, S79H, SL37H, SL400H and SL78H do.

http://gigaset.com/hq/en/cms/PageCus...atibility.html

Sorry Dave if I misled you, I thought you had one of these.

Thanks Christoph for pointing us in the right direction...
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic

Dave Saville

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:56:49 UTC, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> (10/06/10 22:33), Christoph Schweers:
> > Am 10.06.2010 19:36, schrieb Dave Saville:
> >> I just get the feeling I am missing something obvious

> > Yes, you do Your Handset Gigaset S45 does not support the Info
> > services. The Handset Gigaset C47H of Bodincus however does!
> >
> > Christoph
> >

> D'OH! It's a handset thing...???
>
> But the OP said he did set up everything correctly on the web interface
> AND the handset...
>
> I supposed he had a handset with that functionality registered with its
> base... As far as I know - and as far as what the Gigaset website says -
> the S450IP base can register other models of handsets, and some support
> the Info Services.
>
> Right: if in the menu you get pressing the right side of the central
> wheel, there is a "Sel Services" option, and selecting it you get the
> "Info center" option in the subsequent menu, the handset supports the
> Info Services function.
>
> Select that option, and as the last option in the menu you should see
> "Screen Saver". If you don't, Tango Sierra.

Ah, but I *do* get all that menu stuff...............

Am 12.06.2010 15:46, schrieb Dave Saville:

> Ah, but I *do* get all that menu stuff...............

yes, but that only means that your Basestation Gigaset S450IP is capable
of doing all the stuff. And as I already wrote your Handset Gigaset S45
can't show the Info services.
Get for example the actual successor Gigaset S79H, register it to your
Basestation Gigaset S450IP and you will be able to get the Info services.

Dave Saville

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:48:30 UTC, Christoph Schweers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2010 15:46, schrieb Dave Saville:
> >
> > Ah, but I *do* get all that menu stuff...............

> yes, but that only means that your Basestation Gigaset S450IP is capable
> of doing all the stuff. And as I already wrote your Handset Gigaset S45
> can't show the Info services.

Well it can, it just can't do them as a screen saver