Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Check for form changes

Reply
Thread Tools

Check for form changes

 
 
JIK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004

Hi.

I have a web app written in ASP.NET/C# with a lot of textboxes, dropdowns
etc.
Is there any possibilities to check for changes in texboxes etc in a web
form on the client side easily?
And on the server side?


Jon


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Corey O'Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
Client side is good old JavaScript... there's nothing about ASP.NET that
will help you there.

Server side, however, ASP.NET can help! You could take advantage of the
"Change" events for your ASP.NET controls... if the event (or events) fire,
then you know the values have been changed. You can even tie multiple events
(the change event for each control) to a single event handler to centralize
the processing of the events.

Corey O'Mara
MCSD.NET, MCT


"JIK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hi.
>
> I have a web app written in ASP.NET/C# with a lot of textboxes, dropdowns
> etc.
> Is there any possibilities to check for changes in texboxes etc in a web
> form on the client side easily?
> And on the server side?
>
>
> Jon
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jon Kleveland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004

Thanks - but...

I know I have to use Java on the client side - is it any easy way to
check if the user have done any changes?

On the server side - by using the Change event - will it then do a
roundtrip from client to server for every change the user makes?



Jon


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Corey O'Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
There's no "easy" way that I know of to write that Javascript (has it ever
been easy?).

As for the server side, the page won't make a roundtrip for every change the
user makes unless you have a control's "AutoPostBack" property set to true.
If not, the server side events will fire when the page does a round trip
based on the user pressing a button, etc.

--
Corey O'Mara
MCSD.NET, MCT

"Jon Kleveland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Thanks - but...
>
> I know I have to use Java on the client side - is it any easy way to
> check if the user have done any changes?
>
> On the server side - by using the Change event - will it then do a
> roundtrip from client to server for every change the user makes?
>
>
>
> Jon
>
>
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



 
Reply With Quote
 
JIK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004

Thanx,

Do you, or anyone, have som samples of java-code to use?
I want to have code that checks for changes and waarn the user if he try to
navigate away from the page without saving...


Jon



"Corey O'Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:%23p%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's no "easy" way that I know of to write that Javascript (has it ever
> been easy?).
>
> As for the server side, the page won't make a roundtrip for every change

the
> user makes unless you have a control's "AutoPostBack" property set to

true.
> If not, the server side events will fire when the page does a round trip
> based on the user pressing a button, etc.
>
> --
> Corey O'Mara
> MCSD.NET, MCT
>
> "Jon Kleveland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Thanks - but...
> >
> > I know I have to use Java on the client side - is it any easy way to
> > check if the user have done any changes?
> >
> > On the server side - by using the Change event - will it then do a
> > roundtrip from client to server for every change the user makes?
> >
> >
> >
> > Jon
> >
> >
> > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to retrieve form field value if form is EncType=multipart/form-dataForm? Li Zhang ASP .Net 4 02-27-2009 01:23 AM
getting XMLHttpRequest to loop continously to check for changes in an xml file libsfan01 Javascript 4 12-18-2006 06:13 PM
Check form before unload for changes Assimalyst ASP .Net 2 08-11-2005 09:48 AM
How does ASP.NET check for changes to aspx files ? Joseph Farmer ASP .Net 5 06-02-2005 12:57 AM
How do I check for changes in a user form? Casper Skovgaard ASP .Net 3 05-06-2004 11:23 AM



Advertisments