Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Gmail accounts being disabled for no reason

Gmail accounts being disabled for no reason

Matty F

I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...orarily/13775/

Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
everything.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 00:37:19 -0700, Matty F wrote:

> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been disabled,
> for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
>
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-

temporarily/13775/

> Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a gmail
> account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose everything.

You'd be better getting your own domain and web-hosting arrangement. That
way you not only get to choose exactly what you want your email addy to
be, but you also get to take it with you anywhere in the world.

So its not free, but you get much better control over how it works.

Matty F

On Jun 6, 7:56 pm, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
> > disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.

> >http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...temporarily/13...

> > Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
> > gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
> > everything.

> Why loose everything, set it up as am imap account and have your local
> machine and gmail synchronise with each other, I have 3 machines that
> are all in sync.

I'm quite happy with Yahoo and Hotmail. If Gmail is not reliable I'll
be avoiding it.

victor

On 6/06/2010 7:37 p.m., Matty F wrote:
> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
> disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
>
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...orarily/13775/
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
> gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
> everything.

I've got several I've had since they started, never had a problem.
You can forward them to Yahoo or Hotmail to back up if you like, I
forward my isp accounts to gmail for archiving and mobile access.
gmail has a good search engine and it opens and saves attachments in
google docs. Works as an imap server too.

peterwn

On Jun 6, 7:37*pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
> disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
>
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...temporarily/13...
>
> Does anyone know *anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
> gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
> everything.

It would not be surprising if someone tried to log into the account
trying random passwords of there was some other unauthorised activity
and Google automatically locked it pending re-verification. Gmail
proides a means of seeing which IP logged in previously and if there
are any concurrent logins.

Enkidu

On 06/06/10 21:32, Matty F wrote:
> On Jun 6, 7:56 pm, whoisthis<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Matty F<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
>>> disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.

>>> http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...temporarily/13...

>>> Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
>>> gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
>>> everything.

>> Why loose everything, set it up as am imap account and have your local
>> machine and gmail synchronise with each other, I have 3 machines that
>> are all in sync.

> I'm quite happy with Yahoo and Hotmail. If Gmail is not reliable I'll
> be avoiding it.

I've not had a problems in several years of GMail usage. Yahoo and
Hotmail on the other hand have required me to "re-activate" my account
several times. I do use GMail more than the other two though.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Richard

Matty F wrote:
> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
> disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
>
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/googl...orarily/13775/
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
> gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
> everything.

Had that happen when I made 3 new gmail accounts in quick sucession on
the one browser.