Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to get dust off film for scanning.

How to get dust off film for scanning.

Peter

> On 2010-06-08 06:13:12 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>> of the original level. It decades into lead, which is not radioactive.
>>> So
>>> after 20 years, a polonium source is no longer hazardous (and it is
>>> actually
>>> lead rather than polonium).

>> That would be two decades

> Two decades of decay.

Too much decay reminds me that I have a dentist appointment.

--
Peter

Pete

On 2010-06-08 14:41:39 +0100, Savageduck said:

> On 2010-06-08 06:10:24 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Damn!
>>> You just reminded me. I have two of those brushes packed away with
>>> about 1500 LPs, turntable, speakers, a Marantz amp, a Denon amp, and
>>> plenty of dust.
>>> I haven't gone through any of that stuff in about 20 years.
>>>

>> My Marantz amp=pre amp just sits on a shelf, connected to nothing. At
>> one time I thought I would use it for TV surround sound, but current
>> systems are so good and so cheap, that it is not good for anything but
>> an honorable retirement.

> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in
> the thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson
> or PS Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>
> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot So they sit out
> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.

Any chance you could repair the JBLs and enjoy them with your Marantz
or Denon in another room? Four years ago I put a half decent stereo in
my kitchen/diner - it's changed my life more than seems possible.

--
Pete

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-only.net>, clw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> rwalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:15:36 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> >Not if you wet shave the cat once a week.

>> I presume you use welder's gloves and wear iron suit to do that.

>No, kill the cat first. But, of course, that is what should have been
>done the moment it was born. Of, having missed that opportunity, feed
>the Racoons.

cant wait till you are gone.

Tzortzakakis Dimitris

> On 2010-06-08 06:57:39 -0700, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said:
>
>> On 2010-06-08 14:41:39 +0100, Savageduck said:

>>> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
>>> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
>>> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in the
>>> thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson or PS
>>> Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
>>> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot So they sit out
>>> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.

>> Any chance you could repair the JBLs and enjoy them with your Marantz or
>> Denon in another room? Four years ago I put a half decent stereo in my
>> kitchen/diner - it's changed my life more than seems possible.

> The JBL's are definitely repairable, and I always thought of putting them
> back into service.
> When we bought this house back in 1993, my wife had other ideas about
> those "nasty, big, & ugly" speakers spoiling her decorating plans, and
> that was one of the driving forces moving them out of sight.
> After she died in 2007 I had plans to create my "mancave", but they have
> not come to fruition.
>
> They have quite a large footprint 42"H x 14"D x 12"W, with walnut finish.

I have finally bought a new separates stereo, last year, after 20 years of
longing It's Cambridge Audio, with Mordaunt-Short speakers, and a
Pro-ject turntable. It made my life better. I can even get brand new
records, I got Sinatra and Talking Heads and Beachboys It's and
integrated amp, tuner, cd and gramophon.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Peter

> On 2010-06-08 06:10:24 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Damn!
>>> You just reminded me. I have two of those brushes packed away with about
>>> 1500 LPs, turntable, speakers, a Marantz amp, a Denon amp, and plenty of
>>> dust.
>>> I haven't gone through any of that stuff in about 20 years.
>>>

>> My Marantz amp=pre amp just sits on a shelf, connected to nothing. At one
>> time I thought I would use it for TV surround sound, but current systems
>> are so good and so cheap, that it is not good for anything but an
>> honorable retirement.

> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had AV
> I/O, but was never used for such.
> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in the
> thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson or PS
> Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>
> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I checked
> them they had suffered terminal woofer rot So they sit out there with
> good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.

My Bose are used as plant holders. Since we moved to a co-op, I want to be
careful not to disturb my neighbors. The walls are thin and we have
different tastes in music.

--
Peter

Peter

"Mxsmanic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter writes:
>
>> That would be two decades

> Rrr ... decays, not decades. I was in a terrible rush.

We know. Most us us have done that at one time or another. But that typo in
context of your twenty year statement, made mine irresistible.

--
Peter

Peter

> On 2010-06-08 16:28:38 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
>>> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
>>> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in the
>>> thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson or PS
>>> Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
>>> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot So they sit out
>>> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.
>>>

>> My Bose are used as plant holders. Since we moved to a co-op, I want to
>> be careful not to disturb my neighbors. The walls are thin and we have
>> different tastes in music.

> What good is it having neighbors, if you can't occasionaly check your
> speakers by making them bleed from the ears?

When we had the house our neighbor in the back would play boom box rock at
the highest possible setting. I asked them nicely to please make it a little
lower. The answer was a statement telling me to have sex with myself. I
solved the problem by jamming the signal. I hooked up a low powered
transmitter, tuned to the frequency of that station, using their chain link
fence as an antenna. They could never figure out why that radio never worked
outdoors.

--
Peter

Peter

> On 2010-06-08 16:55:08 -0700, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>> When we had the house our neighbor in the back would play boom box rock
>> at the highest possible setting. I asked them nicely to please make it a
>> little lower. The answer was a statement telling me to have sex with
>> myself. I solved the problem by jamming the signal. I hooked up a low
>> powered transmitter, tuned to the frequency of that station, using their
>> chain link fence as an antenna. They could never figure out why that
>> radio never worked outdoors.

> That would solve the problem, but it doesn't speak well for your quality
> of neighbors. No wonder you moved.

Like a lot of other things there's more to it. Her ex-husband was a good
friend of mine. She didn't like the fact that we were friends.

--
Peter

Peter

"Eric Stevens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:03:31 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-06-05 21:13:59 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>>
>>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>>
>>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>>

>>> Eric Stevens

>>Kinetronics has several tools for anti-static film cleaning at
>>different price points. See if any of these will help;
>>
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/ministat.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kinestat_prod.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kse.html
>>http://www.kinetronics.com/store/200...ilmCleaner.pdf

> Now thats a good suggestion. I won't do it your way but I will rig up
> a pair of antistatic brushes designed to clean vinyl LP records.
> http://www.productwiki.com/carbon-fi...leaning-brush/
>
> Second thoughts. These brushes use carbon fibres. Am I introducing a
> scratch problem? I don't think so. Vinyl records are likely to be
> vulnerable to scratch damage also. Still I will tread cautiously.

Now that I think of it, can you go back to basics. give them a bath with
just a drop of detergent or other wetting agent, to prevent spotting. And
let dry. If you are careful you might be able to wipe the negatives with a
chamois or microfiber cloth.

--
Peter

Nervous Nick

On Jun 5, 11:13*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?

For a really tenacious piece of stuff on film, just dab at it with the
adhesive from a piece of cello tape. It might sound weird but nine
times out of ten it lifts it right off. Be gentle, of course.

And generally, if you are doing this sort of work, you want to do it
in a humid environment to reduce static, so wait for a humid day, or
run a hot shower, if at home, to increase the relative humidity of
your workspace.

--
YOP...