Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Scrollable Table with Fixed Headers

Scrollable Table with Fixed Headers

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been given the moniker, "stoopid", by numerous people. Yet, even I
> would never ever even suggest using framesets for such an undertaking.
>
> I don't even recommend framesets for anything.

What about for gobbling up people's memory and freezing their
machines by having frames load that are themselves framesets, all
the way down like turtles? Have you no devil in your bones?

--
dorayme

Travis Newbury

On Jun 7, 11:25*am, Evan Platt <e...@*******************************>
wrote:
> No, by everyone. And it's very well earned. I could go into dozens of
> examples, but what's the point, you deny them or simply crawl back
> under your bridge.

Evan, is your opinions so unimportant that you believe no one will
want to read it a year from now?

If not, then why the **** do you set your post to expire in 6 days? I
would think that you would want to share your knowledge with others in
the future.

If that's not the case then shut the **** up and just go away now.

Sincerely,

TN

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 21:30:41 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have been given the moniker, "stoopid", by numerous people.

> No, by everyone.

He didn't say everyone. He said numerous people. And this could
be a very small number of people depending on the sample's
container.

> And it's very well earned.
> I could go into dozens of
> examples, but what's the point, you deny them or simply crawl back
> under your bridge.

Has he denied them? My impression was simply that he never
commented on such barbs, and, being a truck driver, simply
checked to see that his iron bar was still under his seat. Enjoy
saying things like this from the safety of your keyboard.

And, btwmy, continue to do photography by ESP, I assume this is a
form of 'capturing ether'.

--
dorayme

richard

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:15:34 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 21:30:41 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have been given the moniker, "stoopid", by numerous people.

>> No, by everyone.

> He didn't say everyone. He said numerous people. And this could
> be a very small number of people depending on the sample's
> container.
>
>> And it's very well earned.
>> I could go into dozens of
>> examples, but what's the point, you deny them or simply crawl back
>> under your bridge.

> Has he denied them? My impression was simply that he never
> commented on such barbs, and, being a truck driver, simply
> checked to see that his iron bar was still under his seat. Enjoy
> saying things like this from the safety of your keyboard.

I simply ignore the bullshit.

> And, btwmy, continue to do photography by ESP, I assume this is a
> form of 'capturing ether'.

The only reason Evan posts, is to harass me. He feels that it is his God
given duty to continously advise others of my "stupidness". As you know, a
bandwagon that was started years ago before Evan came along.

As I have said many times, because of the harassment I have received over
the years, if I say it, it is stupid and wrong. If someone else says the
exact same thing, it's good.

As for Evan's ESP photography website, the ESP comes from his ham radio
license. KG6ESP.

--
I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
yourself.

Mel Smith

Hi:

I've resolved the issue by:

Introducing another 'header' table immediately *above* the main table in
question.

This new table has only a <thead> element with <th> elements matching
the <td> elements of the main table.

It also has a fixed-layout with the same width, etc, etc but has no
<tbody> element

The main table is also a fixed-layout and has a <tfoot> element with no
<thead> element

So, the look of the whole mess is actually very reasonable, and the user
can scroll down thru hundreds of rows and still see (what looks like) the
fixed header of the main table still on the screen.

My next task is to make several of the 1-row columns in this 'top'
table, be 'clickable' so that I can toggle the sort of the *main* table when
these header <th> elements are clicked.

Thanks for the help offered. (and the abuse is actually welcome comic
relief. Keep it up !)

-Mel Smith

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've resolved the issue

It would be nice to post a URL of your discovery so that this can
be helpful to others.

--
dorayme

Mel Smith

dorayme said:

>> I've resolved the issue

> It would be nice to post a URL of your discovery so that this can
> be helpful to others.

Yes, I'll do that, but to the experts here, it will probably seem
trivial. (my forte/expertise is database work. I've been told that my
presentation skills are childish/amateurish/pukey).

But, I neglected to mention that the single <th> row of the 'header'
table is in a <div> by itself, as is the main table.

I'm working steadily on the main page, and changing its presentation
constantly, but when it stabilizes and I get the courage, I'll post the URL.

Thank you for responding

-Mel

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme said:
>
> >> I've resolved the issue

> > It would be nice to post a URL of your discovery so that this can
> > be helpful to others.

> Yes, I'll do that, but to the experts here, it will probably seem
> trivial. ....
> I'm working steadily on the main page, and changing its presentation
> constantly, but when it stabilizes and I get the courage, I'll post the URL.

Fair enough.

I guess you looked at

<http://www.imaputz.com/cssStuff/bigFourVersion.html>

which seems OK?

The author even gives a link to another version that even tries
to cater for IE5 (fancy bothering!)

--
dorayme

rf

"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> dorayme said:
>
>>> I've resolved the issue

>> It would be nice to post a URL of your discovery so that this can
>> be helpful to others.

> Yes, I'll do that, but to the experts here, it will probably seem
> trivial. (my forte/expertise is database work. I've been told that my
> presentation skills are childish/amateurish/pukey).
>
> But, I neglected to mention that the single <th> row of the 'header'
> table is in a <div> by itself, as is the main table.

In a div? A div that/s inside the table?

as in
?

That's invalid html.

Mel Smith

rf said:

>> But, I neglected to mention that the single <th> row of the 'header'
>> table is in a <div> by itself, as is the main table.

> In a div? A div that/s inside the table?
>
> as in
> ?
>
> That's invalid html.

No, I 'misspoke'. I intended to say that the top 'header' fixed-layout
table is in its own div, and the main table is also within its <div>.

The borders are 'collapsed' so that the Header Table (with just the one
<thead><tr>row situated just a couple of pixels above the first row of the
main table.

Here is the css for this table-combo:

Above this (inter alia) is a container <div> with position: relative;

Also, I had to hard code the widths because (I guess) 'fixed-layout' for
a table *requires* absolute widths

div#headerrow {
position: absolute;
top: 195px;
width: 820px;
height: 50px;
left: 49%; /* I require this but don't know why ?? */
padding: 2px;
margin: 0 0 0 -415px;
overflow: auto;
}