Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ok only for smart people!

Ok only for smart people!

Fastmoggy

Ok your my last hope?
Im from the UK but thats not a bad fing?? and NO i dont own shares in an oil
company!
Ok heres my problem.
Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying to
connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no probs!!

It should connect no probs thats what samsung says but so far other than
trying to set the settings manually ive had little luck but from no
connection to connected to my wireless has taken some doing.
Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to connect
to internet cafes/whatever?
My router is set at 192.168.2.1
Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns ive
no idea what to put.
My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!

I'll post the error message from the diaognostic tool which was all green
but for these settings.
Any help would at the very least get me back on the good side of the
missus!!
Ok here is the dianostic report>>
>>> As posted elsewhere>>

Ok so as per last night the netbook has connected to my wireless router,
something it didn't do before so i must have got one setting right?
When i do try to 'surf' after a few seconds i get the dns error bottom
left-hand corner of page so at least i know what's stopping it but how to
correct it is not as straight forward as i first thought.
As for default gateway, yes i entered it from the information i got from
router but still no joy.Just doing the network diagnostics
The bottom line on the report says the wireless network key does not match
the key settings on the wireless router or AP. Had a look (again) and both
match.

Ok here's what it says.

action Automated repair: Renew IP address

action Releasing the current IP address...

action Successfully released the current IP address action

Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address:

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210

action Automated repair: Reset network connection

action Disabling the network adapter

action Enabling the network adapter

info Network adapter successfully enabled

info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210 action Manual repair: Reboot
modem info

AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210 action Automated repair:

Renew IP address

action Releasing the current IP address...

action Successfully released the current IP address

action Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address: The
semaphore timeout period has expired

.. info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210

action Manual repair: Verify wireless network key info AutoNet address
detected: 169.254.53.210

action Automated repair: Renew IP address action Releasing the current IP
address...

action Successfully released the current IP address

action Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. info AutoNet address detected:
169.254.53.210

info Redirecting user to support call

Sorry if it's slightly disjointed..word 2007 not working without internet
connection so saved to word pad.

This is the only RED section in the report so maybe someone can see whats
wrong.
Failing that...just got myself a 200 door stop! LOL

Fastmoggy

Oh i forgot to mention
netbook SAMSUNG N130
"Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

> semaphore timeout period has expired
>
> . info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210
>
> action Manual repair: Verify wireless network key info AutoNet address
> detected: 169.254.53.210
>
> action Automated repair: Renew IP address action Releasing the current IP
> address...
>
> action Successfully released the current IP address
>
> action Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address:
>
> The semaphore timeout period has expired. info AutoNet address detected:
> 169.254.53.210
>
> info Redirecting user to support call
>
> Sorry if it's slightly disjointed..word 2007 not working without internet
> connection so saved to word pad.
>
> This is the only RED section in the report so maybe someone can see whats
> wrong.
> Failing that...just got myself a 200 door stop! LOL

Mike Easter

Fastmoggy wrote:

> Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
> the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to connect
> to internet cafes/whatever?
> My router is set at 192.168.2.1

Your netbook isn't successfully acquiring an IP from the router. That
169.x is an internal/default/failure IP for when it doesn't get one.

Perhaps you don't have something configured correctly in XP. You should
do your troubleshooting without any distance between the netbook and the
router, like in the same room so that the signal will be strong.

> Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns ive
> no idea what to put.
> My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!

ISP CS isn't in the business of maintaining or TSing a customer's LAN.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Fastmoggy wrote:
> Oh i forgot to mention
> netbook SAMSUNG N130

Do you know how to turn on the Wireless LAN using the Fn key so that the
wireless lan LED is lit?

--
Mike Easter

Bucky Breeder

Fastmoggy, (British, but safe) said in

> Ok your my last hope?
> Im from the UK but thats not a bad fing?? and NO i dont own shares in an
> oil company!
> Ok heres my problem.
> Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying to
> connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no probs!!
>
> It should connect no probs thats what samsung says but so far other than
> trying to set the settings manually ive had little luck but from no
> connection to connected to my wireless has taken some doing.
> Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
> the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to
> connect to internet cafes/whatever?
> My router is set at 192.168.2.1
> Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns
> ive no idea what to put.
> My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!
>
> [...]

It's probably in your "connections" settings.
You should get your ISP's setup manual, or
check one of the other machines on your LAN
and duplicate those settings.

Internet Options | Connections tab | LAN settings button

Most leave all those un-selected... Some ISPs like to have
you select "Automatically detect". From what you've said,
there'd be no Proxy entries.

Network Properties... right-click on your My Network Places;
Right-click on Local Area Connection icon | Properties...
Check your advanced tab, Settings button... does that
match the rest of your working LAN? General tab, you
likely should have "Client for Microsoft Networks" selected
and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" selected... highlight that
one, and click the Properties button...

The automatic options should most likely be selected, with no
other entries in a default scenario...

Again, many of these tweaks are determined by your ISP, and if
you have any machine that is working correctly, double-check to
insure that the settings on your new Netbook match in the above
areas.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, "that"
is NOT a Jedi Light-Sabre in my pocket; and

Meat Plow

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 22:39:04 +0100, Fastmoggy ǝʇoɹʍ:

> 169.254.53.210

169 is a default IP when a Microsoft DHCP client cannot get an IP address
from a DHCP server. Your wireless isn't getting an internet IP address or
a NAT routable IP from the wireless access point. Better check with the
owner of the WAP for the correct settings.

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> Fastmoggy wrote:
>> Oh i forgot to mention
>> netbook SAMSUNG N130

> Do you know how to turn on the Wireless LAN using the Fn key so that the
> wireless lan LED is lit?

On the L front there is an array of 5 status indicators. The middle one
is an antenna symbol, inverted triangle with a vertical line in the middle.

The Fn + F9 key toggles that WLAN indicator on and off (and also toggles
the wireless LAN function on/off).

--
Mike Easter

Fastmoggy

Err yes
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fastmoggy wrote:
>> Oh i forgot to mention
>> netbook SAMSUNG N130

> Do you know how to turn on the Wireless LAN using the Fn key so that the
> wireless lan LED is lit?
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Fastmoggy wrote:
> Err yes

Why do you say 'Err yes' instead of 'yes of course' or 'I'm not sure' or
'No'.

--
Mike Easter

Fastmoggy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fastmoggy wrote:
>> Err yes

> Why do you say 'Err yes' instead of 'yes of course' or 'I'm not sure' or
> 'No'.

Sorry...i thought id said that it is connected to the wireless network but
from there no joy..a dns error im told