Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Problem even with the Hello World

Problem even with the Hello World

Arne Vajh°j

On 05-06-2010 14:17, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

>>> Try an android developer forum. This group mostly deals with programming
>>> on 'real' computers.

>> Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
>> years ago.
>>
>>> That said, this problem looks like something is trying to use
>>> unix-specific AWT operations; are you using a unix platform? Why would
>>> there be AWT going on inside Eclipse, which uses SWT? This looks like a
>>> configuration problem. Are you using a supported platform for whatever
>>> this editor is?

>> Android is a Linux kernel.

> The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
> interesting but irrelevant.

I don't know if it is relevant or not.

But note that both the topics:
- whether Android phone is real computer
- whether Android is a Unix platform
was raised by you.

Arne

Tom Anderson

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

> On 05-06-2010 14:17, Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
>>> years ago.

>>> Android is a Linux kernel.

>> The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
>> interesting but irrelevant.

> I don't know if it is relevant or not.
>
> But note that both the topics:
> - whether Android phone is real computer
> - whether Android is a Unix platform
> was raised by you.

True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you reckon
there's an X server in there somewhere?

tom

--
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

Lew

Tom Anderson wrote:
> True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
> for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
> not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
> under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you reckon
> there's an X server in there somewhere?

If you meant "X" you should have said "X" and not "UNIX".

X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal. Or do you reckon that when
I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns into UNIX?

--
Lew

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Lew wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
>> for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines
>> are not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what
>> was under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you
>> reckon there's an X server in there somewhere?

> If you meant "X" you should have said "X" and not "UNIX".

No. I don't believe that would have been as helpful to the OP (if my
comment was helpful at all), who seems to have a problem related to some
bit of code running the wrong platform's AWT toolkit - if he hadn't
realised that himself, simply saying 'X' wouldn't have helped.

> X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal.

No. X is the unix window system.

> Or do you reckon that when I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns
> into UNIX?

No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows. You can
run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

tom

--
No hay banda

Lew

Tom Anderson wrote:
> No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows. You can
> run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

Yes, that is exactly what it means. "bash" is a program. Whether it's a UNIX
program or MS Windows program or a VMS program depends entirely on the OS on
which it's running.

--
Lew

Joshua Cranmer

On 06/06/2010 01:03 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
> No. X is the unix window system.

Actually, I believe X is more a protocol than a window system. Your
computer has an X server (or several), and programs (X clients) can
communicate with it. So a Windows program can just as easily be an X
client as can a Linux, Solaris, Mac, VMS, etc. program. Similarly, X
servers pretty much exist for major systems (that includes Windows: see
Xming et al.). God^H^H^HWikipedia claims that is originally designed for
thin clients.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Arne Vajh°j

On 06-06-2010 08:19, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

>>> The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
>>> interesting but irrelevant.

>> I don't know if it is relevant or not.
>>
>> But note that both the topics:
>> - whether Android phone is real computer
>> - whether Android is a Unix platform
>> was raised by you.

> True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
> for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
> not actually computers,

So what meaning of real were you using?

> and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
> under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform.

It is a Linux platform and since Linux is not Unix certified
then it is not a true Unix, but it is sure Unix like.

> Or do you reckon
> there's an X server in there somewhere?

Whether there is an X server or not should not have much to
do with whether it is Unix or not.

There are plenty of Unixes that run without X.

Arne

PS: Android does not come with X, but smart people have made
it run on Android.

Arne Vajh°j

On 06-06-2010 13:03, Tom Anderson wrote:
>> X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal.

> No. X is the unix window system.

It is not.

X is the windowing system on most Unix'es, some Unix-like OS's
like Linux and some non-Unix OS's like OpenVMS.

But on the Unix used most on desktop systems it is an optional
component (MacOS X).

X was created to be OS independent.

>> Or do you reckon that when I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns
>> into UNIX?

> No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows.

No.

The intention of X is to be platform independent. It is not Unix
technology. It is standard technology.

> You can
> run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

Most will consider bash a Unix program, but people that use bash on
non Unix (incl. Unix like) platform does it to emulate Unix environment.
Either because they prefer it or need it for compatibility.

X was implemented on non-Unix platforms at the same time
as on Unix platforms and are native GUI on some non-Unix
platforms.

Arne

thanat0s

Hi all, has someone event read fully my question...

i'm try coding for android platform, i'm on a linux workstation last
ubuntu. And i got the problem in eclipse ide.. dealing with my X on the PC.

Is it more clear ?

I probably choose the wrong channe

On 06/07/2010 12:42 AM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> On 06-06-2010 08:19, Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> I don't know if it is relevant or not.
>>>
>>> But note that both the topics:
>>> - whether Android phone is real computer
>>> - whether Android is a Unix platform
>>> was raised by you.

>> True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
>> for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
>> not actually computers,

> So what meaning of real were you using?
>
>> and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
>> under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform.

> It is a Linux platform and since Linux is not Unix certified
> then it is not a true Unix, but it is sure Unix like.
>
>> Or do you reckon
>> there's an X server in there somewhere?

> Whether there is an X server or not should not have much to
> do with whether it is Unix or not.
>
> There are plenty of Unixes that run without X.
>
> Arne
>
> PS: Android does not come with X, but smart people have made
> it run on Android.

RedGrittyBrick

On 08/06/2010 07:07, thanat0s wrote:
> Hi all,

Please don't top-post, it is annoying to many people. If you don't know
what top-posting is, please read this:

> has someone event read fully my question...

Yes, someone has even read your question in full.

I guess English isn't your first language so we should forgive the
errors that make it hard to understand what you have written. However,
effort spent writing clearly should gain you a more informative response.

Having a zero in your pseudonym doesn't make me hopeful that you will
even read all the replies conscientiously.

> i'm try coding for android platform, i'm on a linux workstation last
> ubuntu. And i got the problem in eclipse ide.. dealing with my X on the PC.
>
> Is it more clear ?

No - what is your "X" on your PC? Is it relevant?

> I probably choose the wrong channe

This isn't a channel, this isn't IRC. But yes, there are probably
support forums for Android developers that have more Android related
traffic than the comp.lang.java.programmer newsgroup.
<http://developer.android.com/resources/community-groups.html>

On the other hand, I know a bit about Java, I own an Android phone, I
may write an Android App and I read this newsgroup. I wouldn't be
surprised to see Android related Java programming discussion here, nor
would I object.

Problems with the Eclipse IDE specifically, or with the Android plugins
for Eclipse, are probably off-topic here.

--
RGB