Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > mastering pointers

mastering pointers

Richard Bos

"iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is a continuation of my previous post where I am reviewing/
> learning from the book Mastering C Pointers: Tools for programming
> power by Robert J. > Traister.. 1990

Throw this book away.

> char *a;
> a = "ANGULAR";
> *a = 66;

Throw this book away. Twice.

> printf("%s\n", a);
> }
>
> Now, this is in a section demonstrating a "poke" operation in C.

Throw this book away.

> He claims that this would return "BANGULAR", replacing the first
> character in the string "ANGULAR" with B, as it should.

Throw this book away. Twice.

> This compiles, but throws an error during execution. The question is,
> where is the error coming from.

The error is coming from the book being good only as fiber stuffing for
your compost heap.

I cannot repeat this enough: throw this book away.

Richard

Chad

On Jun 4, 12:21*pm, "Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > This is a continuation of my previous post where I am reviewing/
> > learning from the book Mastering C Pointers: Tools for programming
> > power by Robert J. *> Traister.. 1990

> Weren't you already advised not to use this book because it's full of
> errors? Are you on a mission to identify all those errors?

I would like to point out that there are some "slow" people that come
around here. Seriously. Not all of us have the scholastic aptitude to
get into a big name school right after high school. Some of us have to
have to work just to get to the point of being slightly below average.

iC and iC++

> Some of us have to have to work just to get to the
> point of being slightly below average.

I am sure thats where you are right now. Keep it up and maybe one day,
you will become average, you dimwit.

Chad

On Jun 5, 1:45*pm, "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Some of us have to have to work just to get to the
> > *point of being slightly below average.

> I am sure thats where you are right now. Keep it up and maybe one day,
> you will become average, you dimwit.

Unlike you, I've actually admitted to being slow on several different
occasions here. And unlike you, I've actually managed to overcome the
learning curve associated with pointers. Say what you want. Your
comp.lang.c posts speak more loudly than your education, or lack
thereof, or any kind of professional programming experience that you
claim to have (had).

iC and iC++

On Jun 5, 5:34*pm, Chad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:45*pm, "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > Some of us have to have to work just to get to the
> > > *point of being slightly below average.

> > I am sure thats where you are right now. Keep it up and maybe one day,
> > you will become average, you dimwit.

> Unlike you, I've actually admitted to being slow on several different
> occasions here. And unlike you, I've actually managed to overcome the
> learning curve associated with pointers. Say what you want. Your
> comp.lang.c posts speak more loudly than your education, or lack
> thereof, or any kind of professional programming experience that you
> claim to have (had).

a. I am not a professional programmer.
b. You need to learn to respect people if you want respect from
others.

Chad

On Jun 5, 2:56*pm, "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I am sure thats where you are right now. Keep it up and maybe one day,
> > > you will become average, you dimwit.

> > Unlike you, I've actually admitted to being slow on several different
> > occasions here. And unlike you, I've actually managed to overcome the
> > learning curve associated with pointers. Say what you want. Your
> > comp.lang.c posts speak more loudly than your education, or lack
> > thereof, or any kind of professional programming experience that you
> > claim to have (had).

> a. I am not a professional programmer.
> b. You need to learn to respect people if you want respect from
> others.

You've done nothing to earn my respect. With that, I'm now putting you
in my kill file.

Seebs

On 2010-06-05, iC and iC++ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Jun 5, 1:45*pm, "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I am sure thats where you are right now. Keep it up and maybe one day,
>> > you will become average, you dimwit.

> b. You need to learn to respect people if you want respect from
> others.

Right you are. *plonk*

-s

Richard Bos

Chad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 12:21=A0pm, "Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "iC and iC++" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:fce7849c-b849-45ea=

> > > This is a continuation of my previous post where I am reviewing/
> > > learning from the book Mastering C Pointers: Tools for programming
> > > power by Robert J. =A0> Traister.. 1990

> > Weren't you already advised not to use this book because it's full of
> > errors? Are you on a mission to identify all those errors?

> I would like to point out that there are some "slow" people that come
> around here. Seriously. Not all of us have the scholastic aptitude to
> get into a big name school right after high school. Some of us have to
> have to work just to get to the point of being slightly below average.

All the more reason not to use misleading text books, and to take the
advice of those who _do_ know the language inside-out.

Richard