Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Netbooks anyone? Didn't think so.

Re: Netbooks anyone? Didn't think so.

victor

On 2/06/2010 2:13 p.m., Mutlley wrote:
> "impossible"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Seems that the market for wee EEEs, etc is dying fast.
>>
>> First to go were the linux models -- that "craze" lasted all of 3 months.
>> But Apple's launch of the iPad has killed intererst in those awkward
>> "netbooks" altogether now and created demand for an entirely new species of
>> mobile device. A million iPads a month sold so far.
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/netbook-ipad/
>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...in-two-months/
>>
>> I can't for the life of me understand how the Larry D'Loserites can get
>> their forecasts so consistently wrong. Is it it sheer cussed devotion to
>> ideology?
>>

> Agree with you. Netbooks are dead. The tablet is the new netbook..

Some Apple stockholders aren't so convinced.

http://aaplinvestors.net/stats/ipad/ipaddeathwatch/

victor

On 2/06/2010 11:48 p.m., impossible wrote:

> "victor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hu4o8t$1vm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Agree with you. Netbooks are dead. The tablet is the new netbook..

>> Some Apple stockholders aren't so convinced.
>>
>> http://aaplinvestors.net/stats/ipad/ipaddeathwatch/

> The irony of that collection of bloggets, "iPad Death Watch", was
> clearly lost on you. It's a commentary on the inevitable parade of
> snide, anti-Apple remarks that are hopelessly out of touch , in a Larry
> D'Loserite sort of way, with the reality of another innovation that 2
> million consumers have already voted with their wallets to back.

Like a rat abandoning a sinking ship

Beep
Impossibot has gone off message, please reboot to MS factory defaults
Beep

“It’s a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say,
‘Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.’”
Bill Gates, Microsoft, 10 February 2010

“It is a humorous world in how Microsoft is much more open than Apple,”
Frank Shaw, Microsoft, Corporate VP, Corporate Communications, 29
January 2010

“As a device, the iPad seems somewhat large and ungainly to me. With the
7”-display-based Haiku/Origami, I aimed for greater mobility in the
tradeoff between mobility and display real estate. Not having a way to
write on a pure slate device the size of piece of paper also seems
pretty unnatural to me. One of the iPad demos shows a legal-pad
background for note-taking, but then you have to use the on-screen
keyboard. Say what? There’s a real cognitive disconnect there. Of
course, display size is highly subjective (hence the many variations in
laptops) as is the relative importance of stylus functionality for
different users and uses. There is plenty of room for continued
development of and innovation with the slate form factor, and it will be
interesting to see how the industry responds to Apple’s interpretation.
Otto Berke, father of the Origami Project, Microsoft, 27 January 2010

“It seems like a high priced, unnecessary trinket to me.”
Paul Thurrott, SuperSite for Windows, 27 January 2010

“Let’s face it, the Internet was designed for the PC. The Internet is
not designed for the iPhone. That’s why they’ve got 75,000 applications
— they’re all trying to make the Internet look decent on the iPhone.”
Steve Ballmer, Microsoft, 21 October 2009

It seems to be a litany of Microsoft's supporters lamenting their wasted
opportunities.

victor

On 3/06/2010 12:47 p.m., impossible wrote:

> [...]

>> “Let’s face it, the Internet was designed for the PC. The Internet is
>> not designed for the iPhone. That’s why they’ve got 75,000
>> applications — they’re all trying to make the Internet look decent on
>> the iPhone.”
>> Steve Ballmer, Microsoft, 21 October 2009
>>

>> It seems to be a litany of Microsoft's supporters lamenting their
>> wasted opportunities.

> Blah, blah. I'm sure you must have thought that this was devastating
> material. But it's Microsoft, for heaven's sake. What did you expect!?!
> They've been competing fiercely with Apple for three decades. Knocking
> Apple's product's is a Microsoft marketing specialty.
>
> Indeed, you and your Larry D'Loserite mates have contributed mightily to
> Microsoft's viral marketing campaign by digging up and circulating every
> Microsoft-inspired anti-iPad blog you can get your grubby little hands

Impossibot has lost the plot.
Ballmer is right, apps are the way to make internet material work on
different devices, also a great way to monetize content in a post PC world.
To quote Steve Jobs PCs will still be around but like trucks only x out
of ten people will have them.
All the critiques come from smart people who can see the vulnerability
of the ipad, for all its awesomeness as a content browser its ergonomics
are a bit ****. Wait till version 2.