Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > plac, the easiest command line arguments parser in the world

plac, the easiest command line arguments parser in the world

Michele Simionato

On Jun 2, 6:37*am, Michele Simionato <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> With blatant immodesty, plac claims to be the easiest to use command
> line arguments parser module in the Python world

It seems I have to take that claim back. A few hours after the
announce I was pointed out to http://pypi.python.org/pypi/CLIArgs
which, I must concede, is even easier to use than plac. It seems
everybody has written its own command line arguments parser!

alex23

Michele Simionato <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It seems I have to take that claim back. A few hours after the
> announce I was pointed out tohttp://pypi.python.org/pypi/CLIArgs
> which, I must concede, is even easier to use than plac. It seems
> everybody has written its own command line arguments parser!

I think I still find opterator[1] to be simpler and clearer. No magic
global variables, no spooky behaviour with the main function, just a
decorator and docstring.

1: http://github.com/buchuki/opterator

wrote:
> I would like to announce to the world the first public release of
> plac:
>
> *http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plac

The second release is out. I have added the recognition of keyword
arguments, improved the formatting of the help message, and added many
tests.

Kenny Meyer

On Jun 2, 12:37*am, Michele Simionato <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I would like to announce to the world the first public release of
> plac:
>
> *http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plac
>
> Plac is a wrapper over argparse and works in all versions of
> Python starting from Python 2.3 up to Python 3.1.
>
> With blatant immodesty, plac claims to be the easiest to use command
> line arguments parser module in the Python world. Its goal is to
> reduce the
> learning curve of argparse from hours to minutes. It does so by
> removing the need to build a command line arguments parser by hand:
> actually it is smart enough to infer the parser from function
> annotations.
>
> Here is a simple example (in Python 3) to wet your appetite:
>
> $ cat example.py
> def main(arg: "required argument"):
> * * "do something with arg"
> * * print('Got %s' % arg)
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> * * import plac; plac.call(main) # passes sys.argv[1:] to main
>
> $ python example.py -h
> usage: example.py [-h] arg
>
> do something with arg
>
> positional arguments:
> * arg * * * * required argument
>
> optional arguments:
> * -h, --help *show this help message and exit
>
> $ python example.py
> usage: example.py [-h] arg
> example.py: error: too few arguments
>
> $ *python example.py arg
> Got arg
>
> $ *python example.py arg1 arg2
> usage: example.py [-h] arg
> example.py: error: unrecognized arguments: arg2
>
> You can find in the documentation a lot of other simple and not so
> simple
> examples:
>
> *http://micheles.googlecode.com/hg/plac/doc/plac.html
>
> Enjoy!
>
> * * * * * * *Michele Simionato
>
> P.S. answering an unspoken question: yes, we really needed yet
> another
> command line arguments parser!

I like this approach to command-line argument parsing! Thanks for
sharing your work.

Anjum Naseer

You may be interested in a little Python module I wrote to make handling of command line arguments even easier (open source and free to use) - http://freshmeat.net/projects/commando