Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2950 Switch VLAN Config

Reply
Thread Tools

Cisco 2950 Switch VLAN Config

 
 
RG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?

Thanks in advanced


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
>Thanks in advanced


Yes, pretty much all of Cisco's switches support VLAN'ing..


If you mean put a port into access mode..

interface FastE 0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 403
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
Yes. Wouldn't this mean that the switch's port fa0/1 sends and receives
packets that only contain vlan id 403 tag and no others vlans.

What I am looking for is in addition to this...

interface FastE 0/2
some untagged definition of vlan 403

and

interface FastE 0/3
default vlan

where fa0/2 could communicate with fa0/1 and fa0/3. In other words, packets
will not contain vlan id tag when being transmitted.

Thanks for your help.

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c051ec1$0$50147$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
>>Thanks in advanced

>
> Yes, pretty much all of Cisco's switches support VLAN'ing..
>
>
> If you mean put a port into access mode..
>
> interface FastE 0/1
> switchport mode access
> switchport access vlan 403



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lukas Schratz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
* RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
> Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
>
> Thanks in advanced
>

As untagged vs. tagged traffic is only important if you trunk it
somewhere else, you should change the native vlan of that trunk to
whatever you want. Traffic from the native vlan is untagged and only
possible if you use dot1q.
>


luke
--
Es gibt im Universum keine größere bekannte Kraft als die, welche auf
unfertige Software wirkt, um sie in die große weite Welt auszuliefern.
Auf Platz zwei ist die Kraft, die Frisbee-Scheiben unter Autos oder an
andere unzugängliche Stellen trägt. --FvL in dasr
 
Reply With Quote
 
RG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router
between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should
work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do
it?

Thanks again for your help


"Lukas Schratz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
>> Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
>>
>> Thanks in advanced
>>

> As untagged vs. tagged traffic is only important if you trunk it
> somewhere else, you should change the native vlan of that trunk to
> whatever you want. Traffic from the native vlan is untagged and only
> possible if you use dot1q.
>>

>
> luke
> --
> Es gibt im Universum keine grere bekannte Kraft als die, welche auf
> unfertige Software wirkt, um sie in die groe weite Welt auszuliefern.
> Auf Platz zwei ist die Kraft, die Frisbee-Scheiben unter Autos oder an
> andere unzugngliche Stellen trgt. --FvL in dasr



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lukas Schratz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2010
* RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
> Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router
> between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should
> work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do
> it?


Of course, that's what trunking is for.
For how to implement: Just search for "Router on a stick" - yes really,
that's the more or less official name this setup got.
You will get a plethora of examples.
In short: Switchport set to trunk and on the router you configure one
subinterface per vlan with the appropriate tag - best practice is that
your tags match the number of the subinterface.
>
> Thanks again for your help
>


luke
--
Systemadministrator: Der wo macht, dass das Internet geht, den man aber
nix wegen Word fragen darf, weil sonst ist er sauer und dann geht das
Internet wieder nicht.
--unbekannt, gefunden bei Peter J.Holzer
 
Reply With Quote
 
RG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2010
Will router on a stick configuration work if one interface is native vland
(untagged), and the other tagged vlan.
"Lukas Schratz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
>> Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router
>> between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should
>> work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do
>> it?

>
> Of course, that's what trunking is for.
> For how to implement: Just search for "Router on a stick" - yes really,
> that's the more or less official name this setup got.
> You will get a plethora of examples.
> In short: Switchport set to trunk and on the router you configure one
> subinterface per vlan with the appropriate tag - best practice is that
> your tags match the number of the subinterface.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help
>>

>
> luke
> --
> Systemadministrator: Der wo macht, dass das Internet geht, den man aber
> nix wegen Word fragen darf, weil sonst ist er sauer und dann geht das
> Internet wieder nicht.
> --unbekannt, gefunden bei Peter J.Holzer



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco 2950 switch VLAN problem Slava Hardware 2 11-04-2010 07:00 AM
cisco switch 2950, vlan and dhcp scope pacmas72@gmail.com Cisco 6 03-17-2008 07:32 PM
differnce between a 2950 xl and a 2950 Cisco switch? Tacobell Cisco 5 03-13-2007 07:18 AM
why cisco 2950 switch is called as catalyst switch mohitbakre Cisco 3 12-10-2006 02:25 AM
CISCO 2950 vlan config problem aruts@excite.com Cisco 4 08-19-2005 07:58 PM



Advertisments