Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Optical Viewfinders availability almost extinct

Optical Viewfinders availability almost extinct

Rich

On May 29, 1:48*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> >> optical viewfinders on their cameras?

> >> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> >> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> >> for optical viewfinders.

> >> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> >> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

> >Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
> > *While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
> >sunlight is not one of them.

> >Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
> >pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
> >very thin camera.

> >And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

> Heh. *A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave

Pity them.

J. Clarke

On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Go down to Best Buy and take a look at a Canon SX-20IS or a Nikon
Coolpix P-100. If they're too rich for your blood B&H has Fuji S1800s
in stock for under 200 bucks.

All have eye level electronic finders that work just fine in direct
sunlight. So do a bunch of others from Olympus, Sony, Casio, Kodak,
Panasonic, Samsung, and others. Even some cheap Chinese crap ("Vivikai"
for example).

Or just get an SLR and be done with it.

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On May 29, 1:48*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
>> > *While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
>> >sunlight is not one of them.

>> >Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
>> >pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
>> >very thin camera.

>> >And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

>> Heh. *A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave

>Pity them.

Oh look - a dumbass rightard chimes in to be an asshole.

How special.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Dave Cohen

On 5/29/2010 12:57 PM, John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:34:54 -0700, SMS<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in<4c01343c$0$1643$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

>> That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
>> planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
>> after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

> Nonsense. (What a shock.)

I've seen people using the lcd finder on models that did have an optical
finder. And not only on lower end models, I saw someone doing this with
a G series canon and there didn't appear to be any particular reason for
doing so (like taking advantage of the swivel lcd). Personally, I'm in
the 'I like a viewfinder camp'. Maybe it has to do with using film
cameras for such a long time.

M-M

In article <htrt4r$9cq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've seen people using the lcd finder on models that did have an optical
> finder. And not only on lower end models, I saw someone doing this with
> a G series canon and there didn't appear to be any particular reason for
> doing so (like taking advantage of the swivel lcd). Personally, I'm in
> the 'I like a viewfinder camp'. Maybe it has to do with using film
> cameras for such a long time.

You cannot shoot continuous on a moving subject (like birds or airplanes
flying) without an optical VF.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Ofnuts

On 29/05/2010 22:30, M-M wrote:

> You cannot shoot continuous on a moving subject (like birds or airplanes
> flying) without an optical VF.

Indeed. And it makes me wonder why the EVF cameras have got a burst
shooting mode...

--
Bertrand

David Ruether

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c015370$0$1646$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Heh. A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave and
> took some pictures. The only illumination was their flashlights, and
> the only way I could take pictures was to set the camera on a rock and
> do a five second exposure. Since it was so dark viewfinders (both
> kinds) were next to useless, but since it was an SLR I could see where
> the lens was pointed.
> --
> Ray Fischer

With the Sony 707 (and 717), so long as the items of interest
were not too distant for the camera's built-in IR illumination,
the camera could be set up for viewing in the dark with IR, but
switching to color at the instant of shooting (with flash). It
worked well...
--DR

Robert Coe

: On 29/05/10 8:08 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: > Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
: > optical viewfinders on their cameras?
: >
: > One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
: > screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
: > for optical viewfinders.
:
: LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
: viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.
:
: > My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
: > extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
:
: That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
: planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
: after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.
:
: The best advice is to find a camera you like with a viewfinder and buy a
: lifetime supply.
:
: "If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
: because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."
: Quote from Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site

That's why I have a lifetime supply of those fine old heavy-duty keyboards
that IBM made for their PCs. The one I'm typing on at this moment was made in
1986.

Bob

Bill W D

On Sat, 29 May 2010 16:30:27 -0400, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <htrt4r$9cq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've seen people using the lcd finder on models that did have an optical
>> finder. And not only on lower end models, I saw someone doing this with
>> a G series canon and there didn't appear to be any particular reason for
>> doing so (like taking advantage of the swivel lcd). Personally, I'm in
>> the 'I like a viewfinder camp'. Maybe it has to do with using film
>> cameras for such a long time.

>You cannot shoot continuous on a moving subject (like birds or airplanes
>flying) without an optical VF.

Now there's a load of crap if I've ever read any. This is precisely when a
LCD can be of benefit. Particularly when doing macro shots of small flying
insects. They cannot be followed at all in any optical viewfinder. But
using an LCD to keep them framed and in focus is a cinch.

Ken Walls

On 29 May 2010 17:48:32 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>>
>>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>>> for optical viewfinders.
>>>
>>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

>>Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
>> While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
>>sunlight is not one of them.
>>
>>Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
>>pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
>>very thin camera.
>>
>>And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

>Heh. A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave and
>took some pictures. The only illumination was their flashlights, and
>the only way I could take pictures was to set the camera on a rock and
>do a five second exposure. Since it was so dark viewfinders (both
>kinds) were next to useless, but since it was an SLR I could see where
>the lens was pointed.

I can still see an image in my LCD and EVF equipped cameras when the
exposure calls for 5 seconds. In one of my cameras I can even see an image
when the exposure calls for 1 minute and longer. In that particular LCD/EVF
camera you can frame and focus with it in total darkness by its IR LED
lights alone. You're either lying, cripplingly inexperienced, or don't know
how to buy a proper camera for the job.