Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Optical Viewfinders availability almost extinct

Optical Viewfinders availability almost extinct

aaronep@pacbell.net

Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
optical viewfinders on their cameras?

One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
for optical viewfinders.

My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Aaron

David J Taylor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

Unfortunately, cost-cutting, large lens zoom range, and size reduction
don't favour the optical viewfinder. You might want to consider a DSLR or
camera with an EVF.

Cheers,
David

David Ruether

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

I agree, and I also prefer an optical eyelevel finder (and it is also
easier to hold the camera steady with these). There is a possible
solution (but not for those who favor "compact" over "good
functionality") with something like the Hoodman LCD loupes (see --
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...ood+loupe&tag=
googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2966091661&ref=pd_sl_173vx3hgf i_b
for some). Also see -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1024
and other solutions at -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com. Not perfect,
but better than peering at that dark screen out there at the ends of
your arms...!
--David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether

SMS

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.

LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.

> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

The best advice is to find a camera you like with a viewfinder and buy a
lifetime supply.

"If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."
Quote from Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site

ray

On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:08:59 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need for
> optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

$$$$$$$$$$$$

BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
throw it away.

SMS

On 29/05/10 9:10 AM, ray wrote:

> BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
> you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
> screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
> throw it away.

Yes, an EVF is an acceptable substitute for an OVF. What you should
never buy is any camera that lacks at least one of those.

J. Clarke

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
sunlight is not one of them.

Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
very thin camera.

And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

Ray Fischer

>Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>optical viewfinders on their cameras?

Good viewfinders are expensive and people don't want to pay for them,
and cheap viewfinders are next to worthless and people don't want to
use them.

And yes, "people" includes you.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

ASCII

SMS wrote:
>On 29/05/10 9:10 AM, ray wrote:
>
>> BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
>> you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
>> screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
>> throw it away.

>Yes, an EVF is an acceptable substitute for an OVF. What you should
>never buy is any camera that lacks at least one of those.

I once bought a camera without either, had ground glass at the focal plane,
just had to remember to close the shutter and remove the dark slide.
Then again maybe that was considered OVF? (non reflex)

Ray Fischer

J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>
>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>> for optical viewfinders.
>>
>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

>Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
> While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
>sunlight is not one of them.
>
>Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
>pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
>very thin camera.
>
>And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

Heh. A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave and
took some pictures. The only illumination was their flashlights, and
the only way I could take pictures was to set the camera on a rock and
do a five second exposure. Since it was so dark viewfinders (both
kinds) were next to useless, but since it was an SLR I could see where
the lens was pointed.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)