Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

Me

On 28/05/2010 5:05 p.m., RichA wrote:
> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird

There's an "oleophobic coating" on the screen, to resist oily
fingerprints. It appears to be a fluorochemical coating.
These are quite effective as oleophobic treatments, but for one problem
- they don't repel silicones. Silicone oils tend to spread out as a
monolayer over the fluoropolymer surface, and as the silicone isn't
oleophobic, then the surface completely loses it's oleophobic property.
It's then very hard to remove the silicone oil without damaging the
fluoropolyomer or substrate.
So, perhaps a useless fact for the day, but particularly for women who
use hand cremes and moisturiser, most of those contain silicone oil
(often stated in ingredients as dimethicone, sometimes PDMS), then I
wouldn't expect the oil/finger grease resistant treatment to last very
long at all.

Peter

"Chris Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In rec.photo.digital Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands
>>> of
>>> people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The
>>> cost
>>> of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
>>> not worth the couple of laughs we may get.

>> To a certain extent all of us have our quirks. I have known several of
>> these
>> people and see their life as sad, not funny. I suspect when we make fun
>> of
>> them we are expressing fear that we may have the problem, too. My
>> psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.

> Many people are drawn to the study of psychology because they find it
> as difficult to understand themselves as other people. They may if
> they do their homework end up knowing a lot of interesting and useful
> psychological research. But their opinions should be treated with
> polite scepticism.

Even if it a conclusion drawn from meaningful, peer reviewed research?
Yes we should be skeptical about the research and carefully look to see if
the research supports the conclusion.

--
Peter

mike

In article <fbd4d798-a2a2-4871-8490-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> On May 28, 5:15*am, DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 28 May, 06:05, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
> > > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
> > > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

> > >http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57526860244057....

> > Well, it is because you can see the grease on the screen.
> > I keep my HTC Dream in its pouch and I avoid touching my cameras LCD
> > and my computer monitor.
> >
> > There is more filth on a door handle but you you cannot see it.
> > Think about that.
> >
> > DanP

> I was referring only to the visible aspect. You can't avoid touching
> dirty surfaces somewhere, but at least you don't have to look at it.
> Nothing is UGLIER than an LCD with filth on it. Keyboards are bad
> enough.

Keyboards need a bit of finger-grease build up. Otherwise how can you
visually tell which keys you press the most and the least?

Mike (least used key is the single-back-quote)