Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > xalan namespace problem

xalan namespace problem

lancelot_234 lancelot_234 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

I'm trying to parse a xml file (that has namespace) using Xalan library.

I'm using the following files/code (from the example about namespace context in: xml.apache.org) :

- foo.xml

- MyNamespaceContext.java

(unfortunately, I can't put foo.xml or MyNamespaceContext.java in this post)

this is the code I'm using to parse the xml file:

XpathExampleFoo.java

Code:
import java.io.IOException;

import java.io.IOException;
import org.w3c.dom.*;
import org.xml.sax.SAXException;
import javax.xml.parsers.*;
import javax.xml.xpath.*;

public class XpathExampleFoo {

	  public static void main(String[] args) throws XPathExpressionException, ParserConfigurationException, SAXException, IOException {

		  XpathExampleFoo a = new XpathExampleFoo();
		  a.analyzeXml();

	 } // end main

	public void analyzeXml() throws ParserConfigurationException, SAXException, IOException, XPathExpressionException {

	    DocumentBuilderFactory domFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
	    domFactory.setNamespaceAware(true); // never forget this!
	    DocumentBuilder builder = domFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
	    Document doc = builder.parse("foo.xml");

	    XPathFactory factory = XPathFactory.newInstance();
	    XPath xpath = factory.newXPath();

	    xpath.setNamespaceContext(new MyNamespaceContext() );

	    XPathExpression expr
	     = xpath.compile("/foo:document/bar:element");

	    Object result = expr.evaluate(doc, XPathConstants.NODESET);
	    NodeList nodes = (NodeList) result;
	    for (int i = 0; i < nodes.getLength(); i++) {
	        System.out.println(nodes.item(i).getNodeValue());
	    }

	} // end method

} // end class
when I execute "XpathExampleFoo", the result is: "null"

could somebody tell me what is wrong with the code?

thanks.