Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > NNTP groups go missing OT

NNTP groups go missing OT

GTS

Sorry - a bit off topic, but I have been accessing Win 7 groups with the
NNTP bridge. Today they've disappeared. When selecting a previously
accessed group, WLM says no such group and deleted the saved posts. NNTP
bridge still works and I can access other groups, but all the W7 groups are
gone. Very annoying! Anyone else seeing this?

someone

The MS Answers has a separate Bridge now, which you must download
separately.

"The teams responsible for Microsoft's community forums would like to make
you aware of changes to the Microsoft Answers platform. In order to sustain
growth and continued innovation around specific audience needs for Microsoft
Answers community, the Microsoft Answers Forums have moved to a new platform
infrastructure.

"As a result of this transition, the previous Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge
application can no longer be used to access Answers Forums. To continue
participate in Answers forums, you will have to download a new Microsoft
Answers NNTP Bridge application. Please following the instructions on
http://connect.microsoft.com/Microsoftforums/ to download the configure the
Answers version of the NNTP Bridge."

"GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OZmkVse#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry - a bit off topic, but I have been accessing Win 7 groups with the
> NNTP bridge. Today they've disappeared. When selecting a previously
> accessed group, WLM says no such group and deleted the saved posts. NNTP
> bridge still works and I can access other groups, but all the W7 groups
> are gone. Very annoying! Anyone else seeing this?

GTS

Thanks!

"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:edSz$1e#(E-Mail Removed)...
> The MS Answers has a separate Bridge now, which you must download
> separately.
>
> "The teams responsible for Microsoft's community forums would like to make
> you aware of changes to the Microsoft Answers platform. In order to
> sustain growth and continued innovation around specific audience needs for
> Microsoft Answers community, the Microsoft Answers Forums have moved to a
> new platform infrastructure.
>
> "As a result of this transition, the previous Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge
> application can no longer be used to access Answers Forums. To continue
> participate in Answers forums, you will have to download a new Microsoft
> Answers NNTP Bridge application. Please following the instructions on
> http://connect.microsoft.com/Microsoftforums/ to download the configure
> the Answers version of the NNTP Bridge."
>
> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OZmkVse#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry - a bit off topic, but I have been accessing Win 7 groups with the
>> NNTP bridge. Today they've disappeared. When selecting a previously
>> accessed group, WLM says no such group and deleted the saved posts.
>> NNTP bridge still works and I can access other groups, but all the W7
>> groups are gone. Very annoying! Anyone else seeing this?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Unfortunately, for some it's not working today.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23fSeO$h%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks!
>
> "someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:edSz$1e#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The MS Answers has a separate Bridge now, which you must download
>> separately.
>>
>> "The teams responsible for Microsoft's community forums would like to
>> make you aware of changes to the Microsoft Answers platform. In order to
>> sustain growth and continued innovation around specific audience needs
>> for Microsoft Answers community, the Microsoft Answers Forums have moved
>> to a new platform infrastructure.
>>
>> "As a result of this transition, the previous Microsoft Forums NNTP
>> Bridge application can no longer be used to access Answers Forums. To
>> continue participate in Answers forums, you will have to download a new
>> Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge application. Please following the
>> instructions on http://connect.microsoft.com/Microsoftforums/ to download
>> the configure the Answers version of the NNTP Bridge."
>>
>> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OZmkVse#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry - a bit off topic, but I have been accessing Win 7 groups with
>>> the NNTP bridge. Today they've disappeared. When selecting a
>>> previously accessed group, WLM says no such group and deleted the saved
>>> posts. NNTP bridge still works and I can access other groups, but all
>>> the W7 groups are gone. Very annoying! Anyone else seeing this?

Robert Aldwinckle

news:OZ7FaGj#(E-Mail Removed)...

> Unfortunately, for some it's not working today.

Check your list of newsgroups (e.g. in OE and spawn, press Ctrl-w.) If you
see 503 listed it means a LIST command response ended prematurely. So,
you should Reset it until you get a complete list.

BTW using telnet to simulate the LIST command first seems to help prep the
bridge for getting its response to your newsreader in a more timely manner.
E.g. if you do that you may notice extremely long pauses when a newsreader
might decide that a list response was complete (though missing the final
period, line end). So, it also can help to change the news account's
timeout to be as long as possible.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

>>> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OZmkVse#(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sources say the 503 errors should be fixed now. They weren't on the client
side.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Robert Aldwinckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O4KKqfn%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:OZ7FaGj#(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Unfortunately, for some it's not working today.

> Check your list of newsgroups (e.g. in OE and spawn, press Ctrl-w.) If
> you see 503 listed it means a LIST command response ended prematurely.
> So, you should Reset it until you get a complete list.
>
> BTW using telnet to simulate the LIST command first seems to help prep the
> bridge for getting its response to your newsreader in a more timely
> manner. E.g. if you do that you may notice extremely long pauses when a
> newsreader might decide that a list response was complete (though missing
> the final period, line end). So, it also can help to change the news
> account's timeout to be as long as possible.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Poutnik

In article <edSz$1e#(E-Mail Removed)>, irvingr5
@comcast.netnospam says...

> The MS Answers has a separate Bridge now, which you must download
> separately.
>
> "The teams responsible for Microsoft's community forums would like to make
> you aware of changes to the Microsoft Answers platform. In order to sustain
> growth and continued innovation around specific audience needs for Microsoft
> Answers community, the Microsoft Answers Forums have moved to a new platform
> infrastructure.

Joking :
I hope it will not go by way every grou will need it own bridge.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Kue2

On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:37:06 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unfortunately, for some it's not working today.

My Windows live mail (News) tells me it cannot connect to 127.0.0.1
I've put the bridge client & windows live mail in the firewall,
but it still not connect. I have the bridge running.
This is in Windows 7 64.
error msg I get when trying to download list of newsgroups
is: Windows live mail cannot connect to internet,possibly because an
antivirus or firewall program won't allow it. Make sure any antivirus
or firewall programs on your computer allow Windows live mail
(wlmail.exe) to access the Internet.
anyone???

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you're trying to get to one of the Answers forums, you need a new version
of the NNTPBridge. Go to the connect site and download it. You can,
supposedly, run it side by side with the one you use for TechNet/MSDN
forums. (Hint: set one to localhost, the other to 127.0.0.1. This will fool
newsreaders that are fussy. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:37:06 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, for some it's not working today.

> My Windows live mail (News) tells me it cannot connect to 127.0.0.1
> I've put the bridge client & windows live mail in the firewall,
> but it still not connect. I have the bridge running.
> This is in Windows 7 64.
> error msg I get when trying to download list of newsgroups
> is: Windows live mail cannot connect to internet,possibly because an
> antivirus or firewall program won't allow it. Make sure any antivirus
> or firewall programs on your computer allow Windows live mail
> (wlmail.exe) to access the Internet.
> anyone???

GTS

Check that your newsreader is using the right Port. The nntp bridge uses
port 119 and the answers nntp bridge 120.