Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: To what extent can Java be written in Chinese?

Re: To what extent can Java be written in Chinese?

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Peter Olcott wrote:

> I heard this from two different reliable sources on newsgroups.

This is the funniest thing i've heard all day. Reliable sources on
newsgroups! Whatever next?

tom

--
Pizza: cheap, easy, and portable. Oh, wait, that's me. Never mind. -- edda

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> What is the Chinese word for Boolean?

Maoean, and it only has the value 'true'.

tom
--
Pizza: cheap, easy, and portable. Oh, wait, that's me. Never mind. -- edda

Arne Vajh°j

On 23-05-2010 13:30, Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Lew"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:htbe56$c5r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> In China because of their cultural purity laws they would
>>> miss out on being able to use Java for development at
>>> all.

>> Mainland China. They might not be so restrictive in
>> Taiwan.
>>
>> Are you quite sure that what you say is even true in
>> mainland China? Care to cite some references to
>> substantiate that claim?

> I heard this from two different reliable sources on
> newsgroups.

Two reliable sources claiming that they write code in assembler
in China to be pure Chinese !?!?

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 23-05-2010 13:29, Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4bf936f1$0$285$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 23-05-2010 09:58, Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> "Lew"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hta6lq$jh8$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I am guessing that this prohibits mainland China
>>> developers
>>> from using java, because of their cultural purity laws.

>> I don't know much about China.
>>
>> But what do they do when writing C code for GCC on
>> their Linux flavor?

> From what I understand they must write all code in assembly
> language because no other language is sufficiently adapted
> to their culture.

BTW, the problem is exactly the same for an assembler as
for a compiler.

The only difference is that it is a lot easier to write
the backend for an assembler than for a compiler.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 23-05-2010 19:07, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>> What is the Chinese word for Boolean?

> Maoean, and it only has the value 'true'.

Boolean logic must be a lot simpler to learn China!

Arne

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Joshua Cranmer wrote:

> I would also like to note that there are Roman numerals that most
> programmers in the West would know pretty well, and they do have Unicode
> support. I don't know of any programming language that accepts said
> numerals as valid numbers.

INTERCAL. It *only* does numeric output (but not input) in roman numerals.

> Well, non-esoteric programming language...

Curses, foiled again!

Also, INTERCAL uses an ASCII representation of roman numerals. I'm not
sure if the unicode versions use the special glyphs.

tom

--
Pizza: cheap, easy, and portable. Oh, wait, that's me. Never mind. -- edda

Roedy Green

On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:28:16 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
said :

>> You should not use an out-of-date language specification,
>> though. Use the current one.

>Got a link to this?

The JLS is available in several forms. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jls.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Beauty is our business.
~ Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (born: 1930-05-11 died: 2002-08-06 at age: 72)

Referring to computer science.

Arne Vajh°j

On 23-05-2010 22:54, Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Lew"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:htbql0$veo$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> I heard this from two different reliable sources on
>>> newsgroups.

>> Even if I accept your assessment of the reliability of
>> undisclosed anonymous unconfirmed sources, which I do not,
>> that does not mean there is no presence of
>> Chinese-language programming in Java outside of mainland
>> China.
>>
>> However, some brief googling for use of Java in (mainland)
>> China indicates that there is some, for example in the
>> Android mobile-phone market. Chinese outsourcing
>> companies also produce a goodly amount of Java and Java EE
>> software.
>>
>> According to
>> http://www.codeweblog.com/java-language-overview/
>> "... in China, Java is also in full swing"
>> (Surely the pun was unintentional)
>> (This does not strike me as more reliable than your
>> unreliable sources, however having equally unreliable but
>> contradictory information is informative in its own way.)
>>
>> There was at one time a "China Java Users Group",
>> https://cnjug.dev.java.net/, thoughit does not seem extant
>> now.
>>
>> <http://www.geometricglobal.com/Corporate/Careers/Current+Opportunities/Opportunities+in+China/index.aspx>
>> has a job opportunity for a Java/J2EE developer in
>> Shanghai.
>>
>> Oh, look! Here's a posting from today (23 May, 2010) for
>> a Java Software Engineer in Beijing:
>> <http://jobs.thomsonreuters.com/job/BEIJING,-BEIJING,-CHINA-Java-Software-Engineer-Job/778416/>
>>
>> So much for how "reliable" your sources are.

> This is a second hand paraphrase, so they must have been
> referring to a prior point in time.

If you go back to the 70's, then IT in China may have been
subject to political correctness in an extreme fashion.

But today China is one of the worlds largest countries
in IT context.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 23-05-2010 22:58, Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Tom Anderson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) rth.li...
>> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> I heard this from two different reliable sources on
>>> newsgroups.

>> This is the funniest thing i've heard all day. Reliable
>> sources on newsgroups! Whatever next?

> Someone that I have been conversing with for many years was
> one of these two sources.

But given that:
- China is the country in the world with most internet users
- China is the second largest IT outsourcing country
- China has its own Linux distro, own OOo version etc.
- China has huge internet sites that are real competitors
to Google, FaceBook etc.
then assuming IT in China is crippled does not sound as
a smart assumption.

Arne

RedGrittyBrick

On 24/05/2010 00:30, Tom Anderson wrote:

> Also, INTERCAL uses an ASCII representation of roman numerals. I'm not
> sure if the unicode versions use the special glyphs.

That would be sensible. So probably not?

--
RGB