Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Javascript code to recursively search for a element given the element's Id

Javascript code to recursively search for a element given the element's Id

Cal Who

I need Javascript code to recursively search for a element given the
element's Id so that I can modify a elements attributes.

I do not use JQuery but I believe that once when I was searching the
Internet for something else I saw that JQuery has a function called $ that
did just that. And the author showed the Javascript code from that library.
I'm not sure if that is what I need but now that I want it I can't find it.

Bottom line: Can you point to (or supply) Javascript code to recursively
search for a element given it's Id?

Thanks in advance

Registered User

On Sat, 22 May 2010 14:38:38 -0400, " Cal Who"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need Javascript code to recursively search for a element given the
>element's Id so that I can modify a elements attributes.
>
>I do not use JQuery but I believe that once when I was searching the
>Internet for something else I saw that JQuery has a function called $ that
>did just that. And the author showed the Javascript code from that library.
>I'm not sure if that is what I need but now that I want it I can't find it.
>
>Bottom line: Can you point to (or supply) Javascript code to recursively
>search for a element given it's Id?

Perhaps you mean something like

var element = document.getElementById('someID');

regards
A.G.

Peter Bromberg

You do not need a recursive function to find an element in a document by its id.

Just use

Cal Who wrote:

Javascript code to recursively search for a element given the element's Id
22-May-10

I need Javascript code to recursively search for a element given th
element's Id so that I can modify a elements attributes

I do not use JQuery but I believe that once when I was searching th
Internet for something else I saw that JQuery has a function called $ tha
did just that. And the author showed the Javascript code from that library
I am not sure if that is what I need but now that I want it I cannot find it

Bottom line: Can you point to (or supply) Javascript code to recursivel
search for a element given it is Id

Thanks in advance

Free Online Courses Available for Eggheadcafe.com Users
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ses-avail.aspx

Cal Who

That's what I thought but lost confidence when it returned null in the
following:

<script type="text/javascript">

function SetMargins(id) {

var element = document.getElementById(id);

Which is in the .master and the id looks like I'd expect:

id = "ctl00_BottomImageCPH_QQQ"

I called it from and aspx.vb file

<asp:Content ID="Content8" runat="server"
ContentPlaceHolderID="BottomImageCPH">

<script type="text/javascript">

SetMargins('<%=QQQ.ClientID%>');

</script>

Why the null??

Thanks

Mark Rae [MVP]

" Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ht9l9g$dti$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> Why the null??

Because of ASP.NET's control ID munging.

var control = document getElementById('<%=MyControl.ClientID%>');

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Registered User

On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:19:25 -0400, " Cal Who"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's what I thought but lost confidence when it returned null in the
>following:
>
><script type="text/javascript">
>
>function SetMargins(id) {
>
>var element = document.getElementById(id);

>Which is in the .master and the id looks like I'd expect:
>
>id = "ctl00_BottomImageCPH_QQQ"
>

>I called it from and aspx.vb file
>
><asp:Content ID="Content8" runat="server"
>ContentPlaceHolderID="BottomImageCPH">
>
><script type="text/javascript">
>
>SetMargins('<%=QQQ.ClientID%>');
>
></script>

>Why the null??

From the second snippet it appears the SetMargins method is being
called as the document is rendered. The document is rendered from top
to bottom. If SetMargins is called before control QQQ is rendered to
the document, the document won't find the control, and
document.getElementById will return null.

You may have to read that last sentence a couple of times

I would suggest attaching a javascript method to the page body's
onload event. That method will be called after the page has been
rendered. From within that method make the call to SetMargins.

regards
A.G.

Cal Who

news(E-Mail Removed)...
>" Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ht9l9g$dti$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
>> Why the null??

> Because of ASP.NET's control ID munging.
>
> var control = document getElementById('<%=MyControl.ClientID%>');
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Help me out here. It seems to me that
calling it from the .vb file using the clientId
is effectively the same.
And the munged string gets passed.

No?

As ways, Thanks

Cal Who

"Registered User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:19:25 -0400, " Cal Who"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>That's what I thought but lost confidence when it returned null in the
>>following:
>>
>><script type="text/javascript">
>>
>>function SetMargins(id) {
>>
>>var element = document.getElementById(id);

>>Which is in the .master and the id looks like I'd expect:
>>
>>id = "ctl00_BottomImageCPH_QQQ"
>>

>>I called it from and aspx.vb file
>>
>><asp:Content ID="Content8" runat="server"
>>ContentPlaceHolderID="BottomImageCPH">
>>
>><script type="text/javascript">
>>
>>SetMargins('<%=QQQ.ClientID%>');
>>
>></script>

>>Why the null??
>>

> From the second snippet it appears the SetMargins method is being
> called as the document is rendered. The document is rendered from top
> to bottom. If SetMargins is called before control QQQ is rendered to
> the document, the document won't find the control, and
> document.getElementById will return null.

I bet that is why IE8 developer tool only shows the HTML to just befor QQQ.
That's as much as was rendered.

> You may have to read that last sentence a couple of times
>
> I would suggest attaching a javascript method to the page body's
> onload event. That method will be called after the page has been
> rendered. From within that method make the call to SetMargins.

But there are no events in a content page, is there?

> regards
> A.G.

Thanks

Harlan Messinger

Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
> " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ht9l9g$dti$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
>> Why the null??

> Because of ASP.NET's control ID munging.
>
> var control = document getElementById('<%=MyControl.ClientID%>');

He did that, but at the point where his SetMargins function was called.

Mark Rae [MVP]

" Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ht9sv9$cdh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> No?

Yes, but it seems from other replies that you're trying to call the
SetMargins function before the page is completely rendered, which is why
it's not finding the control...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP