Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Season ender, "House" and shallow DOF

Season ender, "House" and shallow DOF

RichA

So the last ep. of the season of "House" was shot with Canon 5DII
cameras functioning as the video cameras. The Canon 5DII is a still
image camera with video tacked-on, as many have today. Difference
between it and professional video cameras (why the director chose it)
is the size of the sensor. The large sensor in the Canon, the same as
traditional 35mm film, coupled with high speed lenses allowed the
director to produce images with a very narrow focus range. The result
was (as can be seen throughout the episode, and especially at the end)
is a blurring of foreground and background images, centering focus on
the subject's faces. In some cases, focus being only centered on a
nose or one eye. So how does this work in television? Good and bad.
The good is that specific objects can be emphasized while taking
attention away from spurious objects in the scene's foreground or
background. The bad is that the scene appears less defined because we
are used to the deep depth of field afforded by smaller-sensored video
cameras and slower lenses or lenses used at smaller apertures. Often,
what appears as a distraction could be interesting or important, like
the time on a clock on a wall, etc, or the approach of someone whom if
recognized earlier in the shot can build tension, whatever. I don't
know if this technique suited to single-shot portraiture will catch-on
in television, but you never know.

Alls Quiet

On May 22, 2:27*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So how does this work in television? *Good and bad.
> The good is that specific objects can be emphasized while taking
> attention away from spurious objects in the scene's foreground or
> background. *The bad is that the scene appears less defined because we
> are used to the deep depth of field afforded by smaller-sensored video
> cameras and slower lenses or lenses used at smaller apertures.

Did they use the Canon for the season opener, too? Seems so.