Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > why does fedex deliver package to post office?

why does fedex deliver package to post office?

richard

I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
advertises.

--
I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
yourself.

ian field

news:1g2waifvnxui0$.1m8zplvbncnhz$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

I wish the couriers here in the UK did that!

The couriers have an uncanny knack for only calling when I'm out and
depending which courier their depot could be anywhere - the post office
collection office is a half mile down the road.

Mike Easter

richard wrote:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

My local giant post office (some kind of regional center) has a fedex
drop box outside.

Fedex will not deliver to post office boxes.

At the specific drop box I am speaking about, the services at the drop
box are described as 'express' and 'self service' and the latest
delivery times are 4:30pm M-F none on SatSun. From reading about drop
boxes at the fedex site, I would say that you cannot pick up a fedex
delivery there - you can only drop a fedex express package there or pick
up shipping supplies.

Even nearer to me than the fedex USPS drop box, is a facility called
Postal Annex - which is an authorized fedex ShipCenter from which you
can ship fedex; and you can also have a private mailbox and a variety of
services. But I don't think you can pickup a fedex shipment there either.

In my experience, when a fedex package didn't get delivered to me and I
had to go pick it up, I had to drive quite a ways (a nearby town) to a
fedex 'warehouse' in a bad part of another town.

I don't know what kind of situation you are in with a fedex delivery
that you would be instructed to go to a US post office. Are you sure
there isn't some kind of confusion?

--
Mike Easter

Bert Hyman

In news:1g2waifvnxui0$.1m8zplvbncnhz$(E-Mail Removed) richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to
> get it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what
> fedex advertises.

That's probably the FedEx "SmartPost" service, which uses the postal
service for final delivery; it's cheaper.

http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/index.html

Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
turns out to be more convenient for me.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

OldGringo38

On 5/21/2010 3:30 PM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

This feature of delivery was primarily devised for rural areas where
there is no USPS delivery and everyone goes to the PO to get their
mail.(Such as in Marfa, Tx.) saves the UPS, FedEx, DHL drivers from
driving all over the country side to deliver a package. I experience
this frequently.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

> Even nearer to me than the fedex USPS drop box, is a facility called
> Postal Annex - which is an authorized fedex ShipCenter from which you
> can ship fedex; and you can also have a private mailbox and a variety of
> services. But I don't think you can pickup a fedex shipment there either.

Maybe you can. (Nope, not at Postal Annex.)

Fedex has some kind of delivery option which is called 'Hold at FedEx
Location' -- in which the kinds of fedex locations which a package can
be held for a recipient are: "Packages will be held for pickup at the
designated FedEx Office Print & Ship Center, FedEx World Service Center
or FedEx Office Ship Center."

All of *my* nearby Hold At locations are Kinko's, except for one
non-kinkos about 9 mi away.

All of the kinkos have Sat pickup - which is good to know. Apparently
the Kinko's around here have all been rebadged to say/ be called/ "FedEx
Office Print & Ship Center"

--
Mike Easter

richard

On 21 May 2010 21:51:13 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:1g2waifvnxui0$.1m8zplvbncnhz$(E-Mail Removed) richard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
>> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
>> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to
>> get it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what
>> fedex advertises.

> That's probably the FedEx "SmartPost" service, which uses the postal
> service for final delivery; it's cheaper.
>
> http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/index.html
>
> Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
> though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
> turns out to be more convenient for me.

That's probably what's going on. The shipper already has you pay out the
ass for shipping charges, then uses the cheapest way of doing it.

What kills me is it only took 4 physical days to ship from LA to Phoenix?
Hell, I could have driven there, picked up the package and return home
faster.

--

Bert Hyman wrote:

> That's probably the FedEx "SmartPost" service, which uses the postal
> service for final delivery; it's cheaper.
>
> http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/index.html
>
> Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
> though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
> turns out to be more convenient for me.

I should have used a different term to search for post office at fedex.

They like to refer to it as USPS or postal service.

I wonder how that signature business works with a post office box. The
link says "including P.O. boxes".

I seem to recall getting something in a POB, a notice, and I had to go
to the POB services desk during their business hours to sign for the item.

So, how come the standard policy for so many businesses is that they
won't ship to a POB? I guess it means that the other services such as
DHS and UPS don't have the fedex smartpost service worked out.

--
Mike Easter

NotMe

news:1g2waifvnxui0$.1m8zplvbncnhz$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

It's a sub of FEDEX (UPS has the same deal) it is NOT directly controlled or
tracked by either FEDEX or UPS. It's a low ball shipping service FEDEX/UPS
has sold to the shippers. Customer's have the impression it's the premium
service where in fact it's the lowest form of shipping available.

I've had a round and round with these folk and the SUPS over the problems.
SUPS reports that more than a few packages recorded as delivered to the
care, custody, control of the SUPS don't make it to their facilities.

In desperation we've had to mark all our PO's with a qualification to the
effect if the shipment is redirected to SUPS WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE. FWIW
we've filed complaints with the Postal Inspectors, but have received no
reports on the result of the investigations.

BTW good luck getting this in the next 'few days' our shipments (when they
do arrive) often take weeks.

NotMe

SUPS should read U S P S something in OE is changing the spelling.

news:ht7pbk$fnd$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...