Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Google Fonts

Re: Google Fonts

Dylan Parry

On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-google-fonts-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

Looks pretty good, but I’m worried that we are starting to rely to much
on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
respect?

--
Dylan Parry

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
> > <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ht...ip-google-font
> > s-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

> Looks pretty good, but Im worried that we are starting to rely to much
> on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
> respect?

Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
that can be done without.

--
dorayme

Frobernik

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
>>> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ht...ip-google-font
>>> s-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

>> Looks pretty good, but Im worried that we are starting to rely to much
>> on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
>> respect?

> Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
> a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
> that can be done without.

Well if the web developer does it properly then thats taken for granted

I'm worried too. Its not just Googles services some of the CSS grids on
Yahoo are being written into some HTML as well. It makes things
difficult to unpick should the technology ever change

GTalbot

On 21 mai, 06:49, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
> a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
> that can be done without.
>
> --
> dorayme

"
What do unsupported browsers see?

If someone using an unsupported browser visits a page that uses
the Font API, then the text is displayed using the next available font
in your CSS font stack.
(...)
p { font-family: 'Tangerine', cursive; }
"
http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/...rs_Unsupported

If people just add a generic font family (eg: serif, sans-serif,
cursive, fantasy) at the end of their proposed fancy/customized/
personal/preferred font family, then your request will be honored.

Also, in many browsers, users have a setting which can disable use of
other font types. E.g, In Firefox 2+:

Tools/Options/Content tab/Advanced button/Allow web pages to use other
fonts besides/instead of those listed above [checkbox]

regards, Grard
--
Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 185 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/

Roy A.

On 21 Mai, 10:59, Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
>
> > <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-googl....>

> Looks pretty good, but Im worried that we are starting to rely to much
> on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
> respect?

These comments has become a mantra for quite a time now.

Re: Google Fonts 123Jim HTML 18 05-27-2010 02:19 PM
Google Hosts Free Web Fonts Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 05-22-2010 01:47 AM
Re: Google Fonts Beauregard T. Shagnasty HTML 6 05-21-2010 06:30 PM
Fonts suddenly unreadable in IE 6.0 - All other system fonts appear normal Emily Computer Support 3 06-09-2005 04:52 AM
asp fonts problems (chinese fonts become ??????) sam ASP General 0 06-06-2004 06:15 AM

Advertisments