Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > alt Group For 64 Bit Windows

alt Group For 64 Bit Windows

someone

I don't find the NNTP slow using the bridge. Just right click on any group
and then click on "Catch up." Loads in a second or two.

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 20/05/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Ted wrote:
>
>>Sounds like s good idea...
>>... until it gets attacked, and made next to useless, by a troll
>>determined to
>>destroy the group, as with the current alt.windows7.general group.

> They normally fade away if they're not fed.
>
>>A moderated group would be great, but is that even possible with alt
>>groups?

> Looks like it, there are several groups in the alt hierarchy with
> moderated in their name.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
> will stop making it

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm not particularly worried about trolls here. We've done a good job of
keeping them from being an issue. Heck, even some who might be considered a
troll in other groups have been most positive here.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 20 May 2010 15:34:14 GMT Jeff Gaines <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> *From:* "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> *Date:* 20 May 2010 15:34:14 GMT
>>
>> As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying to
>> move people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP
>> bridge is extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
>>
>> There has been some discussion about this in
>> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a seeding
>> message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
>> alt.windows64?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
>> There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
>> (Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment, 1977)

> Sounds like s good idea...
> ... until it gets attacked, and made next to useless, by a troll
> determined to
> destroy the group, as with the current alt.windows7.general group.
>
> A moderated group would be great, but is that even possible with alt
> groups?

Drew

I also like alt.os.windows64bit. How do I one click a billion votes?

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#EjI27D#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit
>
> Hopefully those that participate will follow the intent of discussing
> strictly OS related items.
>

> On 2010-05-20 12:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby
>> Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
>>>
>>> Google doesn't give me any hints.

>> The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
>> suggestions appreciated

-= Hawk =-

On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:00:21 -0700, "Drew"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I also like alt.os.windows64bit. How do I one click a billion votes?

First you stick your head up your own ass, then you tongue your colon.

Jeff Gaines

On 30/05/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gilbert wrote:

>Hi, chaps,
>Has anyone implemented (or planning to) alt.os.windows64bit?
>Cheers, Tim.

I think we are waiting to see if MSFT issues an rmgroup instruction for
this group, and if it does whether any NSPs take any notice of it

It may be worth having a group to meet in if this one does suddenly
disappear....

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
(Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment, 1977)

louise

On 5/20/2010 12:12 PM, Phoenix wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:50:26 -0700, Eric Allen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> >
>> > As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups

>> and trying

> to move
>> > people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's

>> NNTP

> bridge is
>> > extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
>> >
>> > There has been some discussion about this in
>> > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way

>> of a

> seeding
>> > message to see if there is support for an alt group -

>> perhaps
>> > alt.windows64?
>> >

>> alt.windows64 gets my vote

>> --