Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > alt Group For 64 Bit Windows

alt Group For 64 Bit Windows

Jeff Gaines

As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying to move
people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP bridge is
extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.

There has been some discussion about this in
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a seeding
message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps alt.windows64?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Eric Allen

On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying to move
> people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP bridge is
> extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
>
> There has been some discussion about this in
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a seeding
> message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
> alt.windows64?

alt.windows64 gets my vote

Eric

Phoenix

On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:50:26 -0700, Eric Allen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> >
> > As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying

to move
> > people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP

bridge is
> > extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
> >
> > There has been some discussion about this in
> > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a

seeding
> > message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
> > alt.windows64?
> >

> alt.windows64 gets my vote

> Eric

Me too.

Bobby Johnson

Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?

Google doesn't give me any hints.

On 2010-05-20 11:50, Eric Allen wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying to move
>> people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP bridge is
>> extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
>>
>> There has been some discussion about this in
>> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a seeding
>> message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
>> alt.windows64?
>>

> alt.windows64 gets my vote

Jeff Gaines

On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby
Johnson wrote:

>Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
>
>Google doesn't give me any hints.

The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
suggestions appreciated

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Bobby Johnson

I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

Hopefully those that participate will follow the intent of discussing
strictly OS related items.

On 2010-05-20 12:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby
> Johnson wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
>>
>> Google doesn't give me any hints.

> The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
> suggestions appreciated

Charlie Russel - MVP

alt.os.windows64bit if we have to be in the alt tree. But honestly, comp.
would be better.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby
> Johnson wrote:
>
>>Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
>>
>>Google doesn't give me any hints.

> The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
> suggestions appreciated
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
> (President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of the
> telephone)

Whiskers

On 2010-05-20, Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2010-05-20 12:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby
>> Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
>>>
>>> Google doesn't give me any hints.

>> The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
>> suggestions appreciated

> I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

I'm not a Microsoft user - but that name would fit better with all the
other alt.os.* groups (including some windows-related).

> Hopefully those that participate will follow the intent of discussing
> strictly OS related items.

Of course! )

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

-= Hawk =-

On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:07:37 -0400, Bobby Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

Now if only your votes meant ****...

Jeff Gaines

On 20/05/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Ted wrote:

>Sounds like s good idea...
>... until it gets attacked, and made next to useless, by a troll
>determined to
>destroy the group, as with the current alt.windows7.general group.

They normally fade away if they're not fed.

>A moderated group would be great, but is that even possible with alt
>groups?

Looks like it, there are several groups in the alt hierarchy with
moderated in their name.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they