Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft To Support Google’s VP8 Video Codec

Microsoft To Support Google’s VP8 Video Codec

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Looks like Microsoft is going to support at least part of Google’s WebM
initiative
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-vp8-video-codec-with-internet-explorer-9-after-all/6264>,
<http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.

No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
are gathering to “go after” VP8. I wonder who he’ll be rooting for...

peterwn

On May 20, 11:24*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Looks like Microsoft is going to support at least part of Googles WebM
> initiative
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-vp8-video-co...>,
> <http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.
>
> No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
> are gathering to go after VP8. I wonder who hell be rooting for....

This is in general a domestic USA problem. It is very doubtful that
the algorithms can be patented elsewhere. Even in USA the claimed
patents may be dubious, what allows patent trolling is the ease of
getting an injunction in support of a dubious patent. The challenging
of patents is so widespread that the patent troll industry and their
lawyers are trying to lobby for a one year 'limitation' on challenging
new patents. there is also patent racketeering where a patent troll
extracts a licence fee without disclosing the specific patents
allegedly being infringed. This is RICO stuff in my books. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackete...anizations_Act

See:

A couple of patents got trashed when the defence showed prior art by
parading an ancient Commodore Amiga in the courtroom to demonstrate
prior art. It materialised following a general call to geeks to help
track down prior art. The resources of the open source world leaves
the likes of Pinkertons for dead. The Amiga was in working order.

Oh yes, someone tried to get a NZ patent for a door lock operated by a
cell phone. However in the 1980's the then new Upper Waitaki power
stations had door locks actuated by the SCADA system which used
wireless links. When a technician arrived at the power station he
would call up the control room at Twizel and ask the operator to
release the door. Hence there was prior art.

victor

> Looks like Microsoft is going to support at least part of Google’s WebM
> initiative
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-vp8-video-codec-with-internet-explorer-9-after-all/6264>,
> <http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.
>
> No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
> are gathering to “go after” VP8. I wonder who he’ll be rooting for...

LOL
How do ya like them apples ?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn
wrote:

> This is in general a domestic USA problem. It is very doubtful that
> the algorithms can be patented elsewhere.

The EU officially has no software patents, yet it appears their patent
officers have a tendency to allow things that come perilously close to being
software patents. There is similar ambiguity in the UK. So in spite of
official protestations to the contrary, the software patent affliction has
in fact spread a bit further than the US.

I know our Parliamentary select committee on the recent Patents Bill
proposal has come out firmly against software patents, and to his credit,
the Commerce Minister has expressed clear support for that move.

But as they say, there’s many a slip ’twixt cup and lip ... let’s wait until
our new Patents Bill is actually passed, and then see how it’s enforced ...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Good analysis of the big question: it looks like WebM will have no support
for copy protection, so will Hollywood try to kill it
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/google-fights-the-hollywood-tech-veto/6533>?

But then, if they don’t want any of their content in this format, so what?
Google has already started encoding YouTube content in WebM, and there is a
huge amount of footage there submitted from users who created it themselves,
and who are quite happy to see it distributed in freely-redistributable
formats. Just so long as browsers continue to give content creators a
choice, instead of forcing everything into Flash or H.264, I think it can be
safely left to simple market competition to sort the issue out.