Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Skype on a Samsung N150 Netbook computer

Re: Skype on a Samsung N150 Netbook computer

Bodincus

(20/05/10 08:40), Mick.:
> Hi all,
>
> My son has just bought a Samsung N150 Netbook computer.
>
> It has a Intel ATOM Processor N450
>

> He bought Orange mobile internet broadband.
>

> We can not get it to connect as yet but When using a hard wire connection to
> my router we have a download speed of: 6129 KBPS And Upload of: 366KBPS
>

> I have downloaded the latest Skype so he can speak to and see his girl
> friend as they are apart through work.
>

> But Skype has a red question mark in the connection box, and reports the
> computer is running too slow to make a call.
>
> With the same router my computer has a healthy green full bar signal
> registered and works ok.
>

> Any help will be much welcomed, thanks,
>
> Mick.

It's not the connection speed, it's the processor speed. that netbook is
just not powerful enough to do the type of call you ask Skype to.
I suspect you can forget video calls on that netbook, and it'll struggle
with audio too.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Wayne Pyrah

I use Skype on my original ASUS 4G eeepc
Works fine - no worries and thats a low spec netbook

Don't think I have a special skype installed

"Bodincus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsT6Jn.84044$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> (20/05/10 08:40), Mick.:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My son has just bought a Samsung N150 Netbook computer.
>>
>> It has a Intel ATOM Processor N450
>>

>> He bought Orange mobile internet broadband.
>>

>> We can not get it to connect as yet but When using a hard wire connection
>> my router we have a download speed of: 6129 KBPS And Upload of: 366KBPS
>>

>> I have downloaded the latest Skype so he can speak to and see his girl
>> friend as they are apart through work.
>>

>> But Skype has a red question mark in the connection box, and reports the
>> computer is running too slow to make a call.
>>
>> With the same router my computer has a healthy green full bar signal
>> registered and works ok.
>>

>> Any help will be much welcomed, thanks,
>>
>> Mick.
>>

> It's not the connection speed, it's the processor speed. that netbook is
> just not powerful enough to do the type of call you ask Skype to.
> I suspect you can forget video calls on that netbook, and it'll struggle
> with audio too.
>
> --
> Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
> ************************
> Law 42 on computing:
> Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
> # Access Violation - Core dumped
> # Kernel Panic

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ---

Wayne Pyrah

Yes Mobile Broadband can be up and down...
Often depends on time of day and the area usage

Could you not use wifi ?

"Mick." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, Bodincus & Wayne,
>
> thanks for the help.
>
> We did upgrade the computer to a: Acer ASP4810TZ SU4 100W,That is a bigger
> more powerful one and better all round.
>
> Skype still would not perform, and on checking the download rate with 3
> different download speed test sites is was 338 kbps with the Orange mobile
> internet dongle.
>
> I know we wont get anything like the 6537 kbps I get on my landline router
> with the same computer.
>
> We then tried "3" on their mobile broadband dongle, and got 2093 kbps
> download.
>
> Skype is now working but am I right in thinking mobile broadband will
> always be patchy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mick.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: (E-Mail Removed) ---

Salvador Freemanson

On 25/05/2010 12:00, Mick. wrote:
> "Mick."<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>> "Wayne Pyrah"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hteuj1$1ge4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes Mobile Broadband can be up and down...
>>> Often depends on time of day and the area usage
>>>
>>> Could you not use wifi ?

>> Hi Wayne,
>> I know this makes me really thick! but could you explain about
>> wifi and how we would use it please?
>> Mick.

> Hi again Wayne,
> I have just googled it to see about wifi, and now
> understand better, but he needs to be able to use it anywhere.
> He is only living at his brothers home while off work through sickness, he
> will then move away but does not yet know where!
>
> If mobile 3 Networks is usable then that will get him by.
> Thanks,
> Mick.

I have read that Orange block the use of Skype on their 3G network in
some countries. I don't know whether they do this in the UK.