Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Freeze when network cable connected

Windows 7 Freeze when network cable connected

Clay

I have been running Windows 7 64 bit enterprise on my Dell Optiplex 755 for
two months now and it has been rock solid stable. However earlier this week
I came in the office and attempted log in and the system was frozen. I have
discovered that if I boot the system without the network card plugged in -
it works just fine. I can log in and work normally (without network
connectivity). But as soon as I plug the network card in the system
freezes. I have installed two additional network cards (one intel and one
realtek) but had the same results. As soon as I plug the network cable in
either card the system freezes. I did not find anything in the event logs
that gave me any clues as to why this was happening. I can log into safe
mode with networking and the system does not freeze. As consistent as this
problem is I thought this might be a known issue but I have not found
anything online dealing with my specific issue. Nothing new installed
lately that I can find that would have caused this. Not much running on
this machine, Office 2007 and VMware workstation 7 - maybe a couple of other
smaller footprint items. It is a domain joined systems connected to a
Active Directory 2003 edition. Any help is much appreciated.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when it
sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
_before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then slowly
add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running Windows 7 64 bit enterprise on my Dell Optiplex 755 for
>two months now and it has been rock solid stable. However earlier this week
>I came in the office and attempted log in and the system was frozen. I have
>discovered that if I boot the system without the network card plugged in -
>it works just fine. I can log in and work normally (without network
>connectivity). But as soon as I plug the network card in the system
>freezes. I have installed two additional network cards (one intel and one
>realtek) but had the same results. As soon as I plug the network cable in
>either card the system freezes. I did not find anything in the event logs
>that gave me any clues as to why this was happening. I can log into safe
>mode with networking and the system does not freeze. As consistent as this
>problem is I thought this might be a known issue but I have not found
>anything online dealing with my specific issue. Nothing new installed
>lately that I can find that would have caused this. Not much running on
>this machine, Office 2007 and VMware workstation 7 - maybe a couple of
>other smaller footprint items. It is a domain joined systems connected to
>a Active Directory 2003 edition. Any help is much appreciated.

Carlos

And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
programs/services installed anonymously.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when it
> sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
> _before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
> disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then slowly
> add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have been running Windows 7 64 bit enterprise on my Dell Optiplex 755 for
> >two months now and it has been rock solid stable. However earlier this week
> >I came in the office and attempted log in and the system was frozen. I have
> >discovered that if I boot the system without the network card plugged in -
> >it works just fine. I can log in and work normally (without network
> >connectivity). But as soon as I plug the network card in the system
> >freezes. I have installed two additional network cards (one intel and one
> >realtek) but had the same results. As soon as I plug the network cable in
> >either card the system freezes. I did not find anything in the event logs
> >that gave me any clues as to why this was happening. I can log into safe
> >mode with networking and the system does not freeze. As consistent as this
> >problem is I thought this might be a known issue but I have not found
> >anything online dealing with my specific issue. Nothing new installed
> >lately that I can find that would have caused this. Not much running on
> >this machine, Office 2007 and VMware workstation 7 - maybe a couple of
> >other smaller footprint items. It is a domain joined systems connected to
> >a Active Directory 2003 edition. Any help is much appreciated.

> .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends Win7
64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the "screensaver"
apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was done.

Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig or
as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
efforts may be required.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
> could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
> programs/services installed anonymously.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when
>> it
>> sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
>> _before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
>> disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then
>> slowly
>> add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have been running Windows 7 64 bit enterprise on my Dell Optiplex 755
>> >for
>> >two months now and it has been rock solid stable. However earlier this
>> >week
>> >I came in the office and attempted log in and the system was frozen. I
>> >have
>> >discovered that if I boot the system without the network card plugged
>> >in -
>> >it works just fine. I can log in and work normally (without network
>> >connectivity). But as soon as I plug the network card in the system
>> >freezes. I have installed two additional network cards (one intel and
>> >one
>> >realtek) but had the same results. As soon as I plug the network cable
>> >in
>> >either card the system freezes. I did not find anything in the event
>> >logs
>> >that gave me any clues as to why this was happening. I can log into
>> >safe
>> >mode with networking and the system does not freeze. As consistent as
>> >this
>> >problem is I thought this might be a known issue but I have not found
>> >anything online dealing with my specific issue. Nothing new installed
>> >lately that I can find that would have caused this. Not much running
>> >on
>> >this machine, Office 2007 and VMware workstation 7 - maybe a couple of
>> >other smaller footprint items. It is a domain joined systems connected
>> >a Active Directory 2003 edition. Any help is much appreciated.

>> .

Clay

Thanks much for all of the input on this issue. The problem turned out to
be VMware 7. Once I disabled the virtual network adapters, the physical
ones started behaving normally. VMware 7 had been installed for two months
running without any issues. Not sure what changed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends Win7
> 64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
> toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the "screensaver"
> apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was
> done.
>
> Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig
> or as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
> efforts may be required.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
>> could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
>> programs/services installed anonymously.
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when
>>> it
>>> sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
>>> _before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
>>> disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then
>>> slowly
>>> add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>>

>>> "Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> .

Carlos

Clay,
Glad you could find the issue.
Try Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) instead.
It is freeware.
Uninstall VMWare first!

Carlos

"Clay" wrote:

> Thanks much for all of the input on this issue. The problem turned out to
> be VMware 7. Once I disabled the virtual network adapters, the physical
> ones started behaving normally. VMware 7 had been installed for two months
> running without any issues. Not sure what changed.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends Win7
> > 64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
> > toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the "screensaver"
> > apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was
> > done.
> >
> > Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig
> > or as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
> > efforts may be required.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
> >

> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
> >> could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
> >> programs/services installed anonymously.
> >> Carlos

> .

Carlos

IE addins!
This very afternoon I was teaching an engineer how to get rid of a
persistent unwanted toolbar in IE.
He was also very happy when he learnt from me how to manage (and disable)
addins.
Now, if those $%& IT guys would just replace my Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz PC with
something newer and faster I would not spend half of the day closing open
apps to recover memory and speed. Quite OT but I had to write it down!

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends Win7
> 64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
> toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the "screensaver"
> apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was done.
>

> Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig or
> as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
> efforts may be required.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
> > could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
> > programs/services installed anonymously.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when
> >> it
> >> sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
> >> _before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
> >> disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then
> >> slowly
> >> add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
> >>

> >> "Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> .
> >>

> .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Oh, my. I feel for you! Definitely time for an upgrade, Carlos!

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> IE addins!
> This very afternoon I was teaching an engineer how to get rid of a
> persistent unwanted toolbar in IE.
> He was also very happy when he learnt from me how to manage (and disable)
> addins.
> Now, if those $%& IT guys would just replace my Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz PC with
> something newer and faster I would not spend half of the day closing open
> apps to recover memory and speed. Quite OT but I had to write it down!
>

> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends
>> Win7
>> 64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
>> toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the
>> "screensaver"
>> apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was
>> done.
>>

>> Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig
>> or
>> as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
>> efforts may be required.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
>> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
>> > could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing
>> > unwanted
>> > programs/services installed anonymously.
>> > Carlos

>> .

rcmz rcmz is offline
Junior Member

maybe there's a problem with your registry
you can scan for error and then clean it up
you can search registryfix123 in google
it provides a free scan