Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: ISDN to Voip box

Re: ISDN to Voip box

Bodincus

(18/05/10 12:54), R. Mark Clayton:
> Anyone do one?

BRI or PRI?

http://www.voipon.co.uk/xorcom-astribanks-c-23_85.html

http://www.voipon.co.uk/redfone-fonebridge-c-23_60.html

http://www.patton.com/products/pe_pr...asp?category=5

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>BRI.
>
>We want to satellite a small Panasonic PBX off a VOIP box or at least pass
>the ISDN through.

I suspect you've a specific reason for this, but my experiences of this
sort of thing has that it's been easier to simply replace the Panasonic
with an Asterisk box.

However you're after a unit that can act as a host rather than a client
- most of these units are client type units - designed to be plugged
into the wall-socet rather than power a phone or PBX (I've temporarily
forgotten the correct terminology) they may be jumperable inside though -
do read the manuals!

If your existing VoIP box is asterisk, then most BRI cards can operate
in originating mode with a jumper

And again, if it's asterisk, it might be easier to use a channel bank of
some sort to drive the analogue phones directly and bypass the Panasonic..

Gordon

>"Bodincus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsawIn.144573$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> (18/05/10 12:54), R. Mark Clayton:
>>> Anyone do one?
>>>

>> BRI or PRI?
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/xorcom-astribanks-c-23_85.html
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/redfone-fonebridge-c-23_60.html
>>
>> http://www.patton.com/products/pe_pr...asp?category=5
>>
>> --
>> Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
>> ************************
>> Law 42 on computing:
>> Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
>> # Access Violation - Core dumped
>> # Kernel Panic

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:htauu8$oog$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>BRI.
>>>
>>>We want to satellite a small Panasonic PBX off a VOIP box or at least pass
>>>the ISDN through.

>> I suspect you've a specific reason for this, but my experiences of this
>> sort of thing has that it's been easier to simply replace the Panasonic
>> with an Asterisk box.

>The reason is the investement in proprietary Panasonic digital phones -
>these are fully featured and we don't want to replace them with IP phones at
>a cost of over 1k (more than the cost of the exchanges).
>

>> However you're after a unit that can act as a host rather than a client
>> - most of these units are client type units - designed to be plugged
>> into the wall-socet rather than power a phone or PBX (I've temporarily
>> forgotten the correct terminology) they may be jumperable inside though -
>> do read the manuals!
>>
>> If your existing VoIP box is asterisk, then most BRI cards can operate
>> in originating mode with a jumper

>We don't have an existing Voip box - just laid Siemens Gigaset over the top.
>The phones act as analog extensions and Voip phones, but are not fully
>integrated with the PBX.

OK - Undestood now!

Well in-theory, you can plug a 2-port card into an asterisk box to work
in-line with the incoming telco line and the existing PBX. Tap-off
incoming DDIs to ring VoIP phones, pass everything else through. You'd
probably have to use 'fake' outgoing numbers to ring the VoIP phones
from the PBX side though.

I did a proof of concept on this with ISDN30 some time back, but never
actually put it into practice, but it should have worked, and it seemed
line others had actually done this according to various mailing list
postings.

The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
(2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)

So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
the time & effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

So replace the panasonic

Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
service?

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:htbvfk$2clk$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
>> (2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
>> need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)
>>
>> So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
>> the time & effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
>> cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

>The PBX has two BRI ports, so we would retire one BT line and route the
>other in to the IPPBX.
>>
>> So replace the panasonic

>Possible.

It's a shame the handsets are (very likely) proprietary.

>> Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
>> it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
>> service?

>Yes, but there are two problems. It has IP trunk and IP extension cards
>(boo) and they are very expensive (almost as much as the PBX) and in the
>case of the extension card might not have a slot to fit in...

Port the numbers into an ITSP and use one IP Trunk card? A dedicated
analogue line + ADSL is possibly cheaper to run than 2 ISDN2e's...

But I bet it's still expensive and licensed on something weird like
a per channel basis though. (the panasonic "trunk" card I'm on about,
although some ITSPS make a per-channel charge too - welcome to the world
of easy VoIP being thwarted by legacy ideas)

Gordon

Bodincus

(24/05/10 17:04), R. Mark Clayton:
> "Gordon Henderson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:htbvfk$2clk$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> R. Mark Clayton<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>

> SNIP
>>
>>> We don't have an existing Voip box - just laid Siemens Gigaset over the
>>> top.
>>> The phones act as analog extensions and Voip phones, but are not fully
>>> integrated with the PBX.

>> OK - Undestood now!
>>
>> Well in-theory, you can plug a 2-port card into an asterisk box to work
>> in-line with the incoming telco line and the existing PBX. Tap-off
>> incoming DDIs to ring VoIP phones, pass everything else through. You'd
>> probably have to use 'fake' outgoing numbers to ring the VoIP phones
>> from the PBX side though.
>>
>> I did a proof of concept on this with ISDN30 some time back, but never
>> actually put it into practice, but it should have worked, and it seemed
>> line others had actually done this according to various mailing list
>> postings.
>>
>> The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
>> (2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
>> need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)
>>
>> So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
>> the time& effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
>> cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

> The PBX has two BRI ports, so we would retire one BT line and route the
> other in to the IPPBX.
>>
>> So replace the panasonic

> Possible.
>

>> Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
>> it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
>> service?

> Yes, but there are two problems. It has IP trunk and IP extension cards
> (boo) and they are very expensive (almost as much as the PBX) and in the
> case of the extension card might not have a slot to fit in...
>

>> Gordon

> Mark

Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic

Gordon Henderson

In article <TdAKn.81074$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
>phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
>you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

Presume you mean an old PC here

But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them

Gordon

Bodincus

(24/05/10 21:26), Gordon Henderson:
> In article<TdAKn.81074$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
> Bodincus<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
>> phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
>> you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

> Presume you mean an old PC here

Damn spell chucker.

> But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
> for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
> shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
> might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them
>
> Gordon

I heard a while ago of a few businesses that /retire/ old-ish PBX and
phones, they still have a market in developing countries, or as local
sub-exchanges in rural areas.
I might have some kind of references somewhere... Borrow me some time.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic

Bodincus

(24/05/10 21:26), Gordon Henderson:
> In article<TdAKn.81074$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
> Bodincus<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
>> phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
>> you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

> Presume you mean an old PC here
>
> But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
> for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
> shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
> might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them
>
> Gordon

With the current economic climate, the two references I had are not
there anymore - maybe gone out of business - but try to google for
"used phone systems dealer", as they sell used systems they might be
interested in buying from you.
A solicitor's office PBX with 25 phones I retired when they got my IP
PBX, sold for 450 two years ago.
AFAIK Virgin (in ex-Telewest areas) uses Meridian systems for their phones.
You might get a lot less now, but it's better than a poke in the eye.
Good luck and let me know how you get on with it.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid