Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > So, round and round... 70-682... MSLearning, please read!

So, round and round... 70-682... MSLearning, please read!

DaGenester

If someone with MS Learning and Certification is reading, please read this:

Ok, so the thought is that if you take the 70-682, you have just taken an
UPGRADE exam from MCDST or MCITP on Vista... well, let me clarify something
for you (please note: I am still in dispute of this with Microsoft Learning
and Microsoft Certification team!)

I took the 70-682, passed it, and the test results showed that the upgrade
covered 70-680 and 70-685. With that being said, you would think that that
means you passed them both, especially if you passed both sections of the
exam. What follows is the ACTUAL Conversation Via Email with the MCT Team,
which acted in my behalf to MS Learning and the Cert team:

Hello Gene,

This is a follow up email regarding missing certification.

We appreciate your patience.

We have been informed by our technical team that exam 70-682 counts as the
upgrade exam for MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Windows 7
certification but it does not give the MCTS certification on Windows 7
Configuration. In order to achieve the credentials, you would have to take
the exam 70-680.

In case you need more clarification, please let us know. Thank you for
contacting Microsoft.

Sachin
http://www.microsoft.com/learning

Previous Reply Follows:
-----------------------
Hello Gene,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We agree with your views and appreciate your taking time in bringing this to
our notice. We are waiting for a confirmation from our Program management
team with regards to the certification mapping for the exam 70-682. Once we
have the confirmation along with the appropriate descriptions we would notify
you immediately. Yes, once this is confirmed it would definitely be a great
help to the other professionals attempting this exam.

We would highly appreciate your patience throughout the process.. Thank you
for contacting Microsoft.

Shiv
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.microsoft.com/learning

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Thank you very much.

Just as a reminder... Any time someone has been taking the upgrade exams,
the appropriate "entry level" certification is in the mix as well. So, for
example, if I took the 70-682 and received JUST the MCITP certification, two
things would be wrong:
1. I would only receive credit for the MCITP, and not the MCTS. A
requirement of the MCITP is the MCTS certification associated with it, so my
MCITP would be invalid.
2. If I had to also take the MCTS certification, where would the
benefit be in taking an Upgrade exam, if I still needed to take the other
exam to make it worthwhile?

In the example of the 70-682, I SHOULD only have to take the 70-682 to
receive FULL credit for the 70-680 and 70-685 exams. Thus the benefit of the
Upgrade. Otherwise, I would STILL have to go and take the 70-680 exam,
making it two exams to take instead of just the one.

If you take a look at my transcript, you will see that I try to take the
Upgrade exams as often as possible - saving both time and money on the exams
(unless I don't pass, of course! ). For each upgrade exam I have taken,
you'll note that I have received credit for all certifications that were
under it - both the MCTS and MCITP certifications.

Thank you for looking into this. I'm sure I won't be the only one to bring
this to your attention.

Gene.