Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA2 on XP

WPA2 on XP

Bill W

I have been told that XP does not support WPA2. I just purchased a new wireless router and would like to set it to WPA2 on my XP SP3 computer. Is it true that XP will not support it? Thank you for your help.

James Egan

On Mon, 17 May 2010 15:05:38 -0600, "Bill W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been told that XP does not support WPA2.

It does.

Jim

John

That's false. XP SP3 supports WPA2. Just be sure your wireless network
adapter and the driver also support WPA2.

> "Bill W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been told that XP does not support WPA2. I just purchased a new
> wireless router and would like to set it to WPA2
> on my XP SP3 computer. Is it true that XP will not support it? Thank you
> for your help.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
SP2 support WPA2 with this patch - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
SP3 supports it as is.
However make sure that your Wireless card supports it as well, many old
cards do not support WPA2.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Bill W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have been told that XP does not support WPA2. I just purchased a new
wireless router and would like to set it to WPA2 on my XP SP3 computer. Is
it true that XP will not support it? Thank you for your help.

ericore ericore is offline
Junior Member

Incomplete answers from others.

1. Yes, you do have to make sure you have latest wireless adapter driver and that it supports WPA2 (you check this via preferred networks, select one, properties)

2. However, XP's Wireless Lan Manager is absolute garbage for WPA2, so when installing your latest driver opt to install with software (You use their lan manager, Not XP's).

This has worked on many XP SP3 machines that had difficulty.

Supreme Master of XP