Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > really big CFL lamps.

really big CFL lamps.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:09:51 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> .. and IME, you are still wrong. Parcans have their uses in theater.
>>> Yes, really. If contradiction is the best you have, then we're done.
>>> I'm here for an argument.

>>Are you stating that Parcans are the primary workhorses of theatre and
>>not Fresnels and zoomspots?

> You are the one that said 'preferred'. I never typed that. Neither did I
> mean it. <sigh>

While parcans MAY have occasional uses in theatres they are not the
primary workhorses for serious drama - or even for musical theatre or
comedy.

I would suggest that they're not even the secondary or tertiary workhorse
due to their considerable shortcomings.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:23:07 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> I note these are *some* reasons why you might prefer a robo over a spot
> and operator. Again I say ... robos are just one tool in the box. As
> with all tools, they have pluses and minuses ... but don't discount them
> without thinkking.

How many do you own?

How many does your local community theatre own?

how many does your local "professional" theatre company own?

Zero?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:15:11 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>>Fixed beam ellipsoidal instruments are nowhere near as flexible as
>>>zoomspots and parcans are not flexible at all.

>> Flexibilty ? Irrelevant. You keep trying to introduce 'requirements'
>> where they need not exist. As I said originally, par cans have their
>> uses ... and I'll add ... "and are commonly used in theater". Yes, they
>> are useful in some places for some things. Yes they are commonly used.
>> No, not exclusively ... like hammers - not much good for turning screws,
>> but useful none the less ... and 'commonly used'. If your lighting
>> designs ignore par cans, then you are missing a tool in your box. That
>> would be a self imposed limitation, not a real one.

>My lighting designs don't "ignore" Parcans. I have yet to find a use for
>them in serious drama.
>
>I've had plenty of cause to use them for band gigs, but not for serious
>drama. I don't know of any theatre that prefers parcans as their primary
>type of lighting instrument.

OK, I'm giving up now. Thanks