Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Integrating Google Maps in Java Swing application

Integrating Google Maps in Java Swing application

Gilberto

Hi, I need to include a map using Google Maps in a Java standalone
application. I read something about it and I suppose the best solution
is to include a panel that show HTML pages. Do you have any
suggestions? I haven't found much.

Thank you.

Arne Vajh°j

On 17-05-2010 04:12, Gilberto wrote:
> Hi, I need to include a map using Google Maps in a Java standalone
> application. I read something about it and I suppose the best solution
> is to include a panel that show HTML pages. Do you have any
> suggestions? I haven't found much.

A panel that show HTML *and* interpret heavy JavaScript?

Arne

Alessio Stalla

On May 17, 10:12*am, Gilberto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, I need to include a map using Google Maps in a Java standalone
> application. I read something about it and I suppose the best solution
> is to include a panel that show HTML pages. Do you have any
> suggestions? I haven't found much.

Google Maps come in two flavours: static and dynamic. The former is
basically just an image accessed through an HTTP-based API, so it's
quite easy to embed it in a Swing application. The latter is heavily
JavaScript-based, so you'd need an embedded browser. If you only need
to show the map, you might consider embedding a native browser panel.
If you need to manipulate the map or get feedback from user input to
the map, things get more complicated...

Additionally, read carefully the fine print in the Google Maps terms
of service. I don't know if you can embed them in a non-web
application. At least the dynamic API has a concept of an API key
which is tied to a specific domain.

hth,
Alessio

Gilberto

On May 18, 12:55*am, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 17-05-2010 04:12, Gilberto wrote:
>
> > Hi, I need to include a map using Google Maps in a Java standalone
> > application.[CUT]

> A panel that show HTML *and* interpret heavy JavaScript?

Have you any suggestions?

I'm evaluating Browser object in SWT.

Arne Vajh°j

On 18-05-2010 03:29, Gilberto wrote:
> On May 18, 12:55 am, Arne Vajh°j<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 17-05-2010 04:12, Gilberto wrote:
>>> Hi, I need to include a map using Google Maps in a Java standalone
>>> application.[CUT]

>> A panel that show HTML *and* interpret heavy JavaScript?

> Have you any suggestions?
>
> I'm evaluating Browser object in SWT.

No. I just wanted to emphasize that Google maps is heavy
JavaScript, which somewhat increases the requirements.

I don't know that SWT browser object.

Arne