Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: computer wont boot

Re: computer wont boot

John Little

> Power supply is ok ...

Why do you say that? Have you tried a new power supply in the box?
Putting the suspect power supply in another box, and it works, is not
conclusive IMO. A six year old power supply is a leading suspect, so
many of about that vintage have failed.

> I get no beeps at all when I switch on.

Those two symptoms imply a dead motherboard. I'd suspect that the
power supply getting dodgy has stressed the mobo for a while; mostly
because it happened to one of my PCs.

Regards, John

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:37:29 -0700 (PDT), John Little
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> Power supply is ok ...

>>Why do you say that? Have you tried a new power supply in the box?
>>Putting the suspect power supply in another box, and it works, is not
>>conclusive IMO. A six year old power supply is a leading suspect, so
>>many of about that vintage have failed.
>>
>>> I get no beeps at all when I switch on.

>>Those two symptoms imply a dead motherboard. I'd suspect that the
>>power supply getting dodgy has stressed the mobo for a while; mostly
>>because it happened to one of my PCs.
>>
>>Regards, John

> Thanks for that John but I am inclined to think something else has
> done for the mother board.
> In my ignorance I said the power supply was ok because the fans seem
> to work ok.
> Besides that though the box got a new power supply about 2 years ago.

Two years is about right for a power supply with cheap Chinese capacitors to
start playing up.
(open it up and look for bulging capacitors)

A diagnostic procedure that will help:

1 connect a known good power supply & turn on.
If that doesn't work.
2 Remove 'all' plug in components from the motherboard [With the 'Mains'
Lead DISCONNECTED] except the CPU, speaker and the front panel power switch.
(ie disconnect drives, RAM, Video card, Modems etc including any USB /
Firewire fly leads)
3 if speaker does not give any beeps it's either the motherboard or CPU.
Easiest option is to try the CPU in another Motherboard if you have one to
hand, otherwise ------->Extract wallet-------->go shopping.

4 if you get beeping start adding components you disconnected in step 2.
Start with RAM, then Video card etc until you find the component that kills
it.

If you don't have a known good power supply, measure the voltages from your
old one are within 5% of nominal before proceeding with step 2.
ie 11.4v > 12.6v.
4.75v > 5.25v.
3.14v > 3.46v
Don't worry about the negative votages (-5v & -12v) as they are often not
used in modern boards and 'float' giving false readings.

best
Paul.

J.Wilson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:37:29 -0700 (PDT), John Little
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> Power supply is ok ...

>>Why do you say that? Have you tried a new power supply in the box?
>>Putting the suspect power supply in another box, and it works, is not
>>conclusive IMO. A six year old power supply is a leading suspect, so
>>many of about that vintage have failed.
>>
>>> I get no beeps at all when I switch on.

>>Those two symptoms imply a dead motherboard. I'd suspect that the
>>power supply getting dodgy has stressed the mobo for a while; mostly
>>because it happened to one of my PCs.
>>
>>Regards, John

> Thanks for that John but I am inclined to think something else has
> done for the mother board.
> In my ignorance I said the power supply was ok because the fans seem
> to work ok.
> Besides that though the box got a new power supply about 2 years ago.

If you give up on conventional remedies, as a last resort, try running
the motherboard through the dishwasher. It has worked for me once
before ago and ..nothing to lose. Very important not to laugh while
you do it.

Dave Doe

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>Why do you say that? Have you tried a new power supply in the box?
> >>Putting the suspect power supply in another box, and it works, is not
> >>conclusive IMO. A six year old power supply is a leading suspect, so
> >>many of about that vintage have failed.

> >>Those two symptoms imply a dead motherboard. I'd suspect that the
> >>power supply getting dodgy has stressed the mobo for a while; mostly
> >>because it happened to one of my PCs.
> >>
> >>Regards, John

> > Thanks for that John but I am inclined to think something else has
> > done for the mother board.
> > In my ignorance I said the power supply was ok because the fans seem
> > to work ok.
> > Besides that though the box got a new power supply about 2 years ago.

> If you give up on conventional remedies, as a last resort, try running
> the motherboard through the dishwasher. It has worked for me once
> before ago and ..nothing to lose. Very important not to laugh while
> you do it.

Impossible!

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This 6 year old box has a Celeron D processor.

Junk it without a backward glance.