Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Laptop Batteries where to buy?...

Laptop Batteries where to buy?...

tony sayer

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone can
recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery Li-ion
pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

Cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

John

tony sayer wrote:
> As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
> Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
> (Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..
>
> Cheers..

www.batteryexpress.org.uk are local to me so I went to the place when I
needed a battery for my Acer Aspire 5630. Good battery, decent price, so
yeah, I'd recommend them.

John

Roland Perry

In message <hsosq5$pf5$(E-Mail Removed)>, at 14:43:19 on Sun, 16 May
2010, Gio <(E-Mail Removed)> remarked:

I was happy with a laptop battery from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/hk3zone
--
Roland Perry

Jeff Strickland

Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
> can
> recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
> Li-ion
> pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..
>
> Cheers..
> --
> Tony Sayer

Duncan Wood

On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:11:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <hsosq5$pf5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a
>> > Toshiba one and is OK.
>> >

>> And the company was ?

> smart_parts_uk
> Boris Stavenko
> London
> SW6 1QA
>
> So there.

I bought one from them. It waa faulty. In a strange reversal of most posts
of this nature, I complained, they apologised & sent me a perfectly good
one so I'd recommend them.

--
Duncan Wood

Roland Perry

In message <hspuck$9tv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, at 16:16:09 on
Sun, 16 May 2010, Jeff Strickland <(E-Mail Removed)> remarked:
>Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
>that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
unrecognised by the laptop.
--
Roland Perry

pete

On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:16:09 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
> that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the
UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's
quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would
last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

But, having bought compatible batteries for cameras and phones from these sorts (not
the specific ones mentioned here) of suppliers, which went flat in a fraction (a small
fraction) of the time that the one which came with the device lasted, AND held less and
less charge, for less and less time in the ensuing months. I can't help but think
there are too many crooks, fakes and bogus claims out there.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> If you bought off Ebay and paid by PayPal you'd easily get your money
> back. Assuming such easy to determine faults from the off. Ebay is heavily
> biased in favour of the buyer.

Indeed it is - we were stiffed by a customer for several hundred:
claiming non delivery of goods despite a cast iron paper trail and
postal proof of delivery. And email discussions about the goods he
claimed were never received..

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Jon Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
>>> Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
>>> even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
>>> full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
>>> capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
>>> cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
>> No sale...

> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain
it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

And cells are probably +-10% anyway.

Duncan Wood

On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:01:08 +0100, Jon Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 17/05/2010 10:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article<NcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk>,
>> Jon Green<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
>>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
>>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
>>> No sale...

>> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
>> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is
>> equal.

> Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
> I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
> "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
> quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
> want to fire an extinguisher at it!
>
> Jon

If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower
capacity ones.
--
Duncan Wood