Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Application_Error and Maximum request length exceeded

Application_Error and Maximum request length exceeded

Jacky Kwok

Dear all:

I know how to use the "Application_Error" in "Global.asax" to catch the
exception and display my own error message page.

However, I found "Application_Error" cannot handle the error of "Maximum
request length exceeded" (in my case, actually too large upload file
size, I know how to modify the "maxRequestLength" to change the upload
size but I need a formal error message in this case).

In VS.NET debugger, program could run into the "Application_Error".
However, no matter I used the

<customErrors defaultRedirect="errorStatus.htm" mode="On"> </customErrors>

or

handling redirect in program code.

The error page of

================
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
your browser settings.
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
===================

displayed.

Anyone know how to handle this problem?

Thank you very much.

--
Jacky Kwok
(E-Mail Removed)

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I've run into this, I couldn't find a way to handle the error either. I'll
do some research on it and let you know what I find out. I didn't find
anything on it before but it's worth another shot.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
"Jacky Kwok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dear all:
>
> I know how to use the "Application_Error" in "Global.asax" to catch the
> exception and display my own error message page.
>
> However, I found "Application_Error" cannot handle the error of "Maximum
> request length exceeded" (in my case, actually too large upload file
> size, I know how to modify the "maxRequestLength" to change the upload
> size but I need a formal error message in this case).
>
> In VS.NET debugger, program could run into the "Application_Error".
> However, no matter I used the
>
> <customErrors defaultRedirect="errorStatus.htm" mode="On">

</customErrors>

> or
>
> handling redirect in program code.
>
> The error page of
>
> ================
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
> might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
> your browser settings.
> Cannot find server or DNS Error
> Internet Explorer
> ===================
>
> displayed.
>

> Anyone know how to handle this problem?
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Jacky Kwok
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Mark1969

Hi

Ive found exacaty the same problem

I tried using Appliaction_Error to write to an error log, set a sessio
variable to flag the error and then redirect back to the original page

the application_error event is fired ok, the event log is written, th
session variable is set but the response.redirect doesnt work - i als
tried server.transfer - that doesnt work either

has anyone found a method of displaying a useful error message ?

thanks
Mar

--
Mark196