Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Turning off JIT Optimisation

Re: Turning off JIT Optimisation

Arne Vajh°j

On 16-05-2010 13:47, markspace wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> On 15-05-2010 17:42, markspace wrote:
>>> This is utterly bogus. There's no way any temperature change short of
>>> (perhaps) absolute zero is going to have any effect on the minuscule
>>> charge stored inside a d-ram. No way, no how.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence#Data_in_RAM

> The Wikipedia cites putting chips in liquid nitrogen, not "in the
> freezer." And if you can do that quickly enough you can just put a logic
> analyzer on the bus and sniff the data directly.
>
> I can't download the PDF cited. My reader says it's damaged. I still
> think it's hogwash and would require actual physical access to the
> circuit board of a machine. If you're going to transmit keys to the
> client, use a public key. Security through obscurity doesn't work.

There are serious researchers doing research in this
and publicizing papers about it.

How many scientific papers have you written about the
topic?

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 16-05-2010 02:48, Mike Schilling wrote:
> Daniel Pitts wrote:
>> On the other hand, Java provides no way to guarantee that the contents
>> of an array are not swapped to disk, or loaded into a different page
>> in physically memory. There is nothing you can do from Java (short
>> of JNI) to secure that data.

> JNI is insufficient in any virtual memory system (which is to say, almost
> any modern OS), since the same address in virtual memory might correspond to
> many different physical pages and disk blocks over the course of a program's
> execution.

Most of those modern OS'es also have system calls to lock
pages in memory.

Arne