Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Modem Problem

Re: Modem Problem

G. Morgan

"TruDatMoFo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Hp computer has a Motorola SM56 Modem and all of a sudden overnight it
>won't connect to the internet. All I get is the following message: 'Loop
>current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line
>connection.' I do that and check the phone line and everything seems fine.
>The computer I'm on now is on the same telephone line and it connects just
>fine. So maybe the modem blew out someway overnight? Any help would be much
>appreciated.

Do you have a *real* analog telco line, or something else like a VOIP adapter?
(from your cable company etc...)

Use a multi meter to check line voltage, on hook should be about 48v-52v.

Also, open Hyperterminal, or download "Putty" and issue the command AT&V2 (make
sure you use the right comm port), then post the results here.

Look here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12655/ENG/Motorola.htm

" Get An Error Message "Telephone signal not detected, please check connection "

1. Ensure that the telephone cable is securely connected at both ends.

2. Ensure the telephone cable is plugged into the correct jack on the modem --
some modems provide a second jack for handset support.

3. Unplug the telephone line cable from the computer, and connect it directly
to a telephone from the wall outlet. Check for a dial tone. If there is none,
the problem is in the telephone line or system. Call the service provider.

G. Morgan

G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Look here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12655/ENG/Motorola.htm

wrong one, here it is:

"Get An Error Message “Loop current too high, please close the application and
check the telephone line connection”

When you try to dial a connection an error message box pops up, indicating that
you are not connected to a proper analog phone line. This is the SM56 digital
line guard feature, which protects against hardware damage if the modem is
plugged into a high current phone outlet -- such as a digital phone jack. The
modem automatically detects the over-current and goes back on-hook before
hardware damage occurs. Check the phone outlet and make sure that it is a real
analog phone line. Try another analog phone jack."