Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Modem Problem

Re: Modem Problem

richard

On Thu, 13 May 2010 23:02:00 -0500, TruDatMoFo wrote:

> My Hp computer has a Motorola SM56 Modem and all of a sudden overnight it
> won't connect to the internet. All I get is the following message: 'Loop
> current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line
> connection.' I do that and check the phone line and everything seems fine.
> The computer I'm on now is on the same telephone line and it connects just
> fine. So maybe the modem blew out someway overnight? Any help would be much
> appreciated.

Might want to replace those cables.

I had a similar issue once with a cable modem. Couldn't get online for
nuthin. Cable company sent out technician and he could not find the reason.
Wanted to move the modem and the cord was to short. Replaced the cable with
a longer one and I was back online.

Those very thin wires can easily snap for any reason.

--
I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
yourself.

chuckcar

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:33:26 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Might want to replace those cables.

> Cables? You mean telephone line?

No as in *wires*: lengths of copper that are used to carry electricity.
For *anything* electrical.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

G. Morgan

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Might want to replace those cables.
>
>I had a similar issue once with a cable modem. Couldn't get online for
>nuthin. Cable company sent out technician and he could not find the reason.
>Wanted to move the modem and the cord was to short. Replaced the cable with
>a longer one and I was back online.
>
>Those very thin wires can easily snap for any reason.

**** the cables. You need an attenuator, not a makeshift cable to increase
voltage drop.

G. Morgan

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Cables? You mean telephone line?
>>

>No as in *wires*: lengths of copper that are used to carry electricity.
>For *anything* electrical.

When more than one "wire" is bundled, it becomes a "cable". CAT3 has 6 wires in
it's cable -- where CAT5 has 8 wires in it's cable.

John Holmes

Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:28:42 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>No as in *wires*: lengths of copper that are used to carry electricity.
>>For *anything* electrical.

> You are truly clueless.

Why don't you just let it be, you total ****ing moron? You're pathetic,
Evan. I don't use a killfile, but if I would, you'd be on the top of the
liszt.

--
<snip>

chuckcar

G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Cables? You mean telephone line?
>>>

>>No as in *wires*: lengths of copper that are used to carry
>>electricity. For *anything* electrical.

> When more than one "wire" is bundled, it becomes a "cable". CAT3 has
> 6 wires in it's cable -- where CAT5 has 8 wires in it's cable.

So then he's right to use the term cable as your definition would include
a single conductor multi-strand plastic covered wire.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )